3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Thanks, 20yr old kid who hit me...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Ueland
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn.. sounds like a double reverse donkeypunch scenario...

Seriously though, if the issue is all due to the police report being inaccurate and incomplete, there's probably a good option for you to file suit against the local PD for your damages ie: cost and insurance premium increase plus court cost etc etc...

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Ok, here's the latest update. I have a copy of the police report...finally. The driver was ticketed for careless driving. That is the good news.

The crappy news is that: thanks to the local Sheriff's department, the officers didn't fill out the police report very well. They didn't draw any diagrams of the accident, nor did the officer that reviewed the parking lot surveillance footage even write a report. The report does not have ANY notes what-so-ever to indicate that the kid was clearly to blame. Yet, when I spoke to the officer in person yesterday, he said that he and the officer completely believe that the other kid should take the liability. Great, that doesn't help.

Now, the kid's insurance company is saying that it should be a 50/50 split for liability...unless...we attain a copy of the surveillance footage and submit it to the insurance company (which may be impossible,won't know until monday).

Old 12-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Now, the kid's insurance company is saying that it should be a 50/50 split for liability...unless...we attain a copy of the surveillance footage and submit it to the insurance company (which may be impossible,won't know until monday).
That sucks. About all you can do if you can't get the tape is ask the Officer's who viewed the tape to write statements on what they saw. Good luck man.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:07 AM
89newbie
Captain

As I said before, get your insurance Co. involved, treat it as un-insured motortist. The insurance Co's deal with this stuff all day long.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeahp...and as blown said...if can't get tape have the officers who saw it write a statment on what they saw on the tape! dang this kid is tryin to not make his insurance go up! god what ever happened to just accepting responsibility and rolling with it!?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:52 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
yeahp...and as blown said...if can't get tape have the officers who saw it write a statment on what they saw on the tape! dang this kid is tryin to not make his insurance go up! god what ever happened to just accepting responsibility and rolling with it!?
Accept responsibility? This world now runs on "its not my fault". Its called dodge the bullet, actually I expected this when the father showed up in the beginning. My Dad and yours would have kicked our butts, called insurance, and take drivers license for who knows how long. Walkin for awhile makes us all better drivers. The Dak was hit in the side rear. I think it still is law that you must maintain control of your vehicle at all times. The other guy did not do that so its his fault.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:24 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 89newbie
Accept responsibility? This world now runs on "its not my fault". Its called dodge the bullet, actually I expected this when the father showed up in the beginning. My Dad and yours would have kicked our butts, called insurance, and take drivers license for who knows how long. Walkin for awhile makes us all better drivers. The Dak was hit in the side rear. I think it still is law that you must maintain control of your vehicle at all times. The other guy did not do that so its his fault.
I completely agree. Back in my day, if I hit someone and called "daddy" for positive reinforcement, he would have showed up and said, "Well, now you can buy your own insurance policy". I would have straightened right up.

These kids below my generation **** me off (not all of them, mostly the retarded ones). Whatever happened to "man-up", "take it like a man", "don't be a puss and take it"? This is just downright frustrating.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:49 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm sorry I know i'm the younger generation but i've been in 2 accidents and one was my fault and the guy was pissed cause i ran my 96 dakota into the rear of his brand new Cadillac with only 88 miles on it back in 05...yeah OOPS and my dad took my keys and made me get my own insurance policy at 17...yeah lets just say lesson learned but in the end i learned how to spread my expenses out and save so i could pay my bills! so it was a good and bad scenario...if would have done what this kid is doin my dad would have been like...dont fight it just hey your fault accept it and move on...otherwise he would have whooped my butt...sad to say even my at my dads age (62) he can still kick my ***! lol thats what 30 years of Army service will make you into a senior citizen with *** kickin still in hand! lol

Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
i'm sorry I know i'm the younger generation but i've been in 2 accidents and one was my fault and the guy was pissed cause i ran my 96 dakota into the rear of his brand new Cadillac with only 88 miles on it back in 05...yeah OOPS and my dad took my keys and made me get my own insurance policy at 17...yeah lets just say lesson learned but in the end i learned how to spread my expenses out and save so i could pay my bills! so it was a good and bad scenario...if would have done what this kid is doin my dad would have been like...dont fight it just hey your fault accept it and move on...otherwise he would have whooped my butt...sad to say even my at my dads age (62) he can still kick my ***! lol thats what 30 years of Army service will make you into a senior citizen with *** kickin still in hand! lol
Haha. Some dads can still give their young'ns a whippin'. Well, we have all been there when we were younger. We make mistakes, learn, move on, don't make them again (hopefully). The sad thing is, this kid is 23...I thought he was MAYBE 20 or 21. He looked like a shaggy muffallo POS that doesn't do anything but sleep in until noon and play video games all damn day.

I'm just ranting because I'm pissed.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:10 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

I would think your insurance would fight it since the kid was ticketed. The result of his careless driving was damage to your vehicle. Is that not proof enough that he was at fault? How could he NOT be to blame? wtf is wrong with them?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I would think your insurance would fight it since the kid was ticketed. The result of his careless driving was damage to your vehicle. Is that not proof enough that he was at fault? How could he NOT be to blame? wtf is wrong with them?
Well, thats whats going to happen if the insurance company decides to do a 50/50 split. If that happens, I'm filing a claim with my insurance company. Hopefully, it will get hashed out by them. The first step is determining liability...if we get the video. If we can't obtain the video, then we will file a claim with my insurance.

In all fairness, the kid's insurance is only protecting him. They have his word against mine, plus a half-assed police report. So far, they have been wonderful to work with. It's the kid and daddy (and the police report) that I have the huge problem with.

Quick Reply: Thanks, 20yr old kid who hit me...