3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cold weather speaker performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:37 PM
nanohead
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speakers move around the magnet (occasionally known as the motor mechanism), and the get stiff like us humans in the extreme cold. Once they warm, they are much more flexible. Also, when they are new, they are extremely stiff (from adhesives, etc) and need to be exercised a bit in order to loosen them up (hence the break in period for many loudspeakers)

I have had zillions of speakers over the years (have Focals now in my Dak, had Pioneers in the last one), and they all get stiff in the cold. The polypropylene coned ones are the worst, the paper (stock) are usually a bit more forgiving.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:51 PM
rengnath
Champion

Awesome, thanks for nano. That makes sense

Old 12-11-2010, 02:03 PM
seeless85
Rookie

I had a similar but different problem this fall with my stock speakers. Both left side speakers cut out completely all the way to work one morning. I tried everything and could not get them to come back on. Once I got out of work and headed home they all worked fine. No problems since. Was very puzzling to me.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rengnath
Well with speakers, its actually easier to damage them with a low powered crap source than a high powered quality source if that makes sense.

I know my old speakers used to cut out all the time regardless of weather. I really dont want a new headunit as I think they look tacky. Maybe an amp would help, but to wire one up would be a pain.

So would you guys agree; its just a crap headunit from the factory?
Stock headunit did that for me, haven't noticed it happen with the MyGig so I'm thinking it's the stocker that's at fault.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

if i could ever get over wanting to just hear the exhaust, I might invest in a high quality system. For now, the infinity sound system that came with the truck sounds great for my taste, but hardly ever have it on....exhaust makes better music to me....lol

Old 12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
nanohead
Professional

Originally Posted by rengnath
Well with speakers, its actually easier to damage them with a low powered crap source than a high powered quality source if that makes sense.

I know my old speakers used to cut out all the time regardless of weather. I really dont want a new headunit as I think they look tacky. Maybe an amp would help, but to wire one up would be a pain.

So would you guys agree; its just a crap headunit from the factory?
No, actually that is not the case at all. There is not really any such thing as a crap head unit. The electronics are mostly the same or very similar, whether it says Dodge on it or Pioneer. In fact, many of the OEM sound systems are built by companies like Clarion and Alpine. The speakers only have a relationship with the amplifiers that are built in to the head unit (or not), the rest of the head unit has no idea about the speakers. Speakers don't get damaged typically from signal source unless they are seriously overdriven (ie, 1000 watt load into a 100 watt capable speaker), or they either deteriorate in the case of many paper cone speakers in automotive applications.

If a component inside the head unit is failing, it may cause the speakers to sound poor. Most OEM speakers, even the "premium" ones (HK, Bose, Infinity, etc) are not that great in terms of sound reproduction quality. They are instead made to a price point. And in most cases feature paper cones to keep cost down (the Infinity speakers in Chrysler cars for example).

You can use a factory head unit and get great sound out of it if its amplified properly though good speakers.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 AM
gjmoran
Captain

sorry for the necro.

i had a thought run through my head on why my speaker volume will get low and fuzzy if i try to turn it up randomly

i have 2 kenwood speakers in the front with 240W rating and i have the 2 stock speakers in the rear doors. could this have anything to do with my weird audio problem? this crap has been driving me nuts the past few months.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM
kwanczyk
Rookie

its all good man, i put in four JL audio speakers and i also have a 12" Kicker L7 and all 5 kinda sound a bit different than what it would if it were warmer... the coils need to warm up a bit, thats all. Once they get heated up like anything else, it becomes more flexible and works better.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM
gjmoran
Captain

i live in southern california so it never really gets all that cold, i dont really know if that applies to me. especially because i can be driving around for a few hours and it will do the same thing when i turn the volume up past a certain level, the car audio shop told me that i needed an amplifier to turn it up louder. i dunno though it just seems like something is wrong because it really isnt all that loud when i start getting problems.

Quick Reply: Cold weather speaker performance