3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cold weather speaker performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather speaker performance

Hey guys,
I upgraded the speakers in my truck to some polks earlier this fall. They sound great. I noticed when I play music right after starting up in the cold weather, the speakers have zero bass. After I drive for a while, they sound fine. Would this be due to the cold weather or another issue? Because I also have a problem where my 2 rear speakers cut out when playing music loud (around 25 on the dash radio) but when I fade to just the rear and play them loud, the speakers dont do it. And I checked all connections at the speakers and in the dash and all is good. During the warmer temps everything worked fine. Just a cold weather issue probably? Or maybe even something in the head unit?

Old 12-09-2010, 06:18 PM
ruger226
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing and i have aftermarket speakers in the front and my ipod wouldent even work today untill i warmed it up in my hand. It was like 8* this morning when i started my truck. So as far as i know yea it is the weather.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM
gjmoran
Captain

i have a problem with my audio fading out, but mine is intermittent in all weather conditions. at the same volume of 25. the stereo shop said i was putting the volume too high and its fading the speakers out to prevent damage. the speakers i installed are kenwoods and they can handle something like 150-250 watts a piece, i cant remember exactly how much. and seeing as how the head unit only pushes out 50 watts per speaker i dont see how it can be over powering them. they also suggested i install an amp to power the speakers to get rid of the problem. i dunno i just think its bs and there is a bad connection somewhere...

Old 12-09-2010, 06:47 PM
rengnath
Champion

Well with speakers, its actually easier to damage them with a low powered crap source than a high powered quality source if that makes sense.

I know my old speakers used to cut out all the time regardless of weather. I really dont want a new headunit as I think they look tacky. Maybe an amp would help, but to wire one up would be a pain.

So would you guys agree; its just a crap headunit from the factory?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:09 PM
ruger226
Captain

Originally Posted by rengnath
Well with speakers, its actually easier to damage them with a low powered crap source than a high powered quality source if that makes sense.

I know my old speakers used to cut out all the time regardless of weather. I really dont want a new headunit as I think they look tacky. Maybe an amp would help, but to wire one up would be a pain.

So would you guys agree; its just a crap headunit from the factory?
In my book all stock headunits are junk untill you get inot higher end cars like bmw's and up.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

idk i have stock speakers and the input for my ipod and i've never had problems with base or anything....could just be the speakers and how they where designed?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 AM
rengnath
Champion

I didnt have any problems with bass with the stock speakers .... except for the muddy sound. They used to just cut out like the new ones do.

Im guessing its the head unit cutting out power because it cant handle the load.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:14 PM
gjmoran
Captain

god dammit, that means i gotta spend more dough to pick up an amp for the speakers. lol

Old 12-10-2010, 02:31 PM
rengnath
Champion

Well and the other thing that sucks is the adapter that makes the signal to convert our factory headunit to 4 rca outputs is about 80-90 bucks, so by that time it would be cheaper just to get a headunit. On sale you can find them for $50.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

yup yup

Quick Reply: Cold weather speaker performance