3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rockauto.com and autopartswarehouse.com are my favorites. For the leafs, I would look for them at local junk yards to try and save money. They are probably pretty expensive brand new. Or just get some 3/4 ton springs and throw them in like Backwoods has .... thatll bring your height back there up a little and look good with a leveling kit.

And for the exhaust, a great fix would just be a new cat back. If that still doesnt work, just straight pipe it and you wont have to worry about rattles because you wont hear them. lol

Last edited by rengnath; 01-20-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol im gonna help a little more now!!! go with roughcountry complete kit for 200$ leveling kit front2,5 and rear block 1,5....and you can add the tuffcountry add a leaf for 50$a set of 2 direct from them in you are in u.s.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops forget add a leaf and just remplace them

Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3/4 ton leaf springs sounds pretty sweet

Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotagirl2287
*sigh* boys...

so how about after market parts? anyone know a good online dealer where I can get a cheaper but still good quality parts? I want to get a front end leveling kit and a new leaf pack... whoever had the truck before I bought put some serious weight in the bed and the ends of my leafs are bent flat thus my truck is below stock height... not cool. any ideas? and guys, actual advice please? thanks DG
if you have a 4x4, be careful with the height of the leveling kits. anything over 1.5" on the front is asking for trouble. ebay has a ton of leveling kits but the prices are not much better than going for the namebrand stuff (trailmaster, etc).

Old 01-20-2011, 11:47 PM
dakotagirl2287
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
if you have a 4x4, be careful with the height of the leveling kits. anything over 1.5" on the front is asking for trouble. ebay has a ton of leveling kits but the prices are not much better than going for the namebrand stuff (trailmaster, etc).

My truck is 2 wheel. Any suggestions on a good height increase without sacrificing ride comfort?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 PM
rengnath
Champion

My truck is 2 wheel. Any suggestions on a good height increase without sacrificing ride comfort?
A body lift is the only thing that will give you a decent amount of lift and not rough up the ride since the suspension is untouched, but it will increase body roll. Any leveling kit is going to stiffen up the front end some, but Im looking forward to putting mine in with some new ranchos. The stock front end is too soft for my liking.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 AM
dakotagirl2287
Amateur

Originally Posted by rengnath
A body lift is the only thing that will give you a decent amount of lift and not rough up the ride since the suspension is untouched, but it will increase body roll. Any leveling kit is going to stiffen up the front end some, but Im looking forward to putting mine in with some new ranchos. The stock front end is too soft for my liking.
I agree. The front end rides like an old caddy sometimes lol. I think Im going to do the leveling kit and a leaf pack and call it a day. I'm short and don't need to be vaulting into the drivers seat all the time.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 AM
rengnath
Champion

I agree. The front end rides like an old caddy sometimes lol. I think Im going to do the leveling kit and a leaf pack and call it a day. I'm short and don't need to be vaulting into the drivers seat all the time.
And while youre taking the front end apart, think about new struts. The factory struts are the reason for premature wear on factory components like ball joints since they are so bouncy. A set of Monroes or Ranchos will help save those parts. A leveling kit will put some more strain and wear on them though.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:20 AM
dakotagirl2287
Amateur

Originally Posted by rengnath
And while youre taking the front end apart, think about new struts. The factory struts are the reason for premature wear on factory components like ball joints since they are so bouncy. A set of Monroes or Ranchos will help save those parts. A leveling kit will put some more strain and wear on them
though.

So strengthen everything first before lifting. Got it.

And to think this all started with the damn rattle in the exhaust. Nice!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Rattle