3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Just got my MTX Thunderform enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got my MTX Thunderform enclosure

Hey guys, just got my MTX Thunderform sub enclosure. It looks real solid and I already sized it up and even though its labled as a 2000-2004 it will fit in my 05. I know a lot of you said that you were disappointed with its performance, so I got my own sub and amp (a kicker CompVT 10" and a Kicker ZX 300.1 amp). I was able to find just the shell by itself with no sub or amp included for only $216 w free shipping. It all seems to fit together well. When I get it all hooked up I'll take some pics and let you all know how it sounds. Maybe I found a solution for us Quad Cab guys that want good sound without sacrificing seating room or passenger space. So far my cost overall goes like this:

2007 OEM radio w aux: $75
PAC amp adapter: $36
Alpine S series 6.5" spkrs (2 pair): $118
Kicker 10" Subwoofer: $89
Kicker 4 channel 360watts RMS amp: $169
Kicker mono 340watts RMS amp: $159
2 Amp kits: $52
Cross over: $39
Distribution blocks: $10
MTX Thunderform enclosure: $216

Total Investment so far: $963

Egh....it's worth it I guess.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lets see em'

Old 02-06-2011, 11:18 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see some pics.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:09 AM
08XDakota
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dammnn! thats a lot of money haha but hey, it'll be worth it in the end

Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
italiandominator
All Star

I will get some more pics when its all installed. I would do a video, but Im sure we can all agree that vid clips of sound systems usually dont come out well. Here are 2 pics of my sub in the Thunderform. I was happy to find that the CompVT sub is a shallow mount speaker, so as thin as the enclosure is, it fits nicely with no problems. I emailed MTX with a question maybe yall can answer. My thunderform came with 2 sheets of this white fluffy stuff stuffed inside it. I have heard that some enclosures work better with some kind of "filling" so I was curious if that's what this stuff is and should stay in it, or if it's just packaging material that I should take out. [IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Also, fyi, it was nice that the hole came pre-drilled in the box, but the outer plastic ring of my sub added about a 1/16" all the way around, so I had to use my dremmel (about 20 min.) to shave the inside of the ring, so now it almost clips into place very snuggly.IMG_2209.jpg

Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

So this fits behind the drivers side rear seat?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Yep all you need is a 45 torx bit to remove the top half and it slips behind. Even though it was labeled as a 2000-2004 it still fit in my 05, maybe I got lucky, just sayin. Took some time to find one that was just the shell with no sub or amp (that I didnt need). I will take some pics when I put it in. Thanks Eric, yeah, MTX emailed me back today and you are exactly right. In their words, it allows for "low frequency response" to hit those really low bass lines. I will keep yall updated once I get everything in place.

Oh and FYI. Even though both amps fit ok underneath the rear passenger seat, I am concerned about over heating, cuz the space is limited and the bottom of the seat cover lays right on the amp, so I am planning on stripping the seat down to the frame, bolt on a piece of sheet metal over the whole thing, cut off a little of the foam pad thats on the inside of frame and then screw or attach the sagging part of the cover up as high and flat as I can to create space. Plus, if that is not enough, I will prob end up cutting out the carpet on that side, that covers the 2 access holes on either side of the front lip that the seats rest on, and install a cooling fan to circulate air better. I know that might sound confusing and a lot of work, but hey after investing nearly a grand for it to sound good, I better make sure I take care of it properly. I'll add pics as I do the pro jo, but it is winter and I aint got a garage, so Ill get to it when i can, sorry to keep you in suspense (if you care at all)

Quick Reply: Just got my MTX Thunderform enclosure