3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

How to adjust steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Cavi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, that sound like a load to me, the leveling kit realistically should have nothing to do with the side to side alignment of the steering wheel, that is just a lazy aligner.
Tell me more about adding steering wheel sound controls? Part numbers?/

Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM
rengnath
Champion

The thing that sucks is he aligned it once and took it for a test drive ... came back and said that the wheel was slightly off. I dont think he took account that the road has that slight angle so water drains off of it when it rains.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Supra
Rookie

hey Egger!! where did you find the radio controls for the sterring wheel?!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a steering wheel off Ebay that has the radio controls. I will be sure to do a write up and pics when I get the time to do the install.

At worst, it looks like I will need to run one wire and tap into another...stay tuned!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech13

The way to get your steering wheel in the proper position is to adjust your outer tie rods and that is to rotate your tie rod adjusting sleeves. you will have to rotate each sleeve the same amount in the same direction to set your steering wheel at the 12 o'clock position. There are 2 adjusting sleeves for older model dodges and just the outer tie rod ends for teh rack and pinion sett up. you will probably only have to turn the adjustment a half a turn if it is a minimal amount of offsett. Never move your steering wheel to fix this problem.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rengnath
The thing that sucks is he aligned it once and took it for a test drive ... came back and said that the wheel was slightly off. I dont think he took account that the road has that slight angle so water drains off of it when it rains.
I would just get a refund if possible, and move to a different shop. Not all shops are the same, I personally feel that the "Hawk Eye Laser 4 wheel Alignment Machine" that Mavis uses is junk, especially for a novice alignment guy.

From what I understand, other shops can do a much much better job.

Thats just an example. When all else fails, the dealership deals with these trucks all the time, they know the tweaks and tricks to get it done right. Usually...

Old 02-10-2011, 03:40 PM
rengnath
Champion

Yeah, if they cant fix it tomorrow I will request a refund. I just dropped $420 in labor/allignment there so it has to be right.

They didnt give me a hassle or anything when I said it was out of alignment, they just asked when I want to bring it in. I think its just to the mechanic not being used to how the truck drives, and I will say it was snowing when he test drove it. Ill see what they do tomorrow and go from there .... if they mention any charges for having it realigned though something will hit the fan. Lol.

One question; should I just have them align it to "factory specs" and tell them not to worry any more about it? From what I understand, the leveling kit should not affect the steering wheel alignment. The only reason for an alignment is if you removed the struts, but the difference in the shaft angle shouldnt change the wheel position. Or is this wrong? Thanks for any insight so I can atleast point the shop in the right direction.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:39 AM
rengnath
Champion

Well I just took it in and instead of realigning it quick, they took it for a ride and they claim that the wheel is as straight as its going to get. Ill take a video for you guys when Im on the freeway next and let you guys be the judge, but the wheel needs to be at about 2 o clock on the freeway just to keep it straight.

Quick Reply: How to adjust steering wheel