3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

TPS Readings

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
you went back to the stock tune for all this, right? I have to remember to do that when I get my new one. Install the tb and put the tune to stock, then drive it around fior a few hundred miles or so before re-tuning.
Yes just so I knew what the base values were so I had a relative feel for things.

Originally Posted by rengnath
I wouldnt worry about twisting it back. Like I said, TP% is irrelevant to shifting and the PCM in general. Its all converted to a voltage. When you reset the PCM, the truck recognizes the current TP% as idle and 0% throttle. You could prop your blade open about 1/8", reset the computer, and start the truck up and it will actually idle as long as the engine is cold. Once it warms up, air demands are lowered so the idle will rise. But there is no need to adjust your TPS.

Your shift schedule is based off of the "Accel Pedal Pos" in the NGC3/4 menu on the data logging feature. Your shifting is based off of that number, and if you go in there you should see it read 0% at idle, and about that 70% range at WOT. That is the only thing that matters. Your truck would be shifting way low if it was based of your 4% TPS percentage ..... so low you probably wouldnt be able to get it moving without giving it half throttle or more.
That makes sense then with what I was thinking. OK... then all is good under the hood. What you are saying points to my issue with the sticky/misaligned plate then and me messing around with everything else just amplified it. Eric told me I botched an adjustment somewhere and with the computer having partially learned the values it amplified everything. Man I am glad I got this figured out, now I just need to grow more patience when it comes to adaptive computers. I miss the old school/simple/slightly retarded computered engines... lol

Damn I am learning something I didnt fully understand from you guys...

Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, and it does take about 50 miles for a computer to learn basic perameters. A computer doesnt fully learn the parameters and your driving habits for about 300 miles. I would just leave it Billy. No sense trying to fix something that aint broke. Youll probably just end up breaking the cruise control cable again or something

Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

Originally Posted by rengnath
Yeah, and it does take about 50 miles for a computer to learn basic perameters. A computer doesnt fully learn the parameters and your driving habits for about 300 miles. I would just leave it Billy. No sense trying to fix something that aint broke. Youll probably just end up breaking the cruise control cable again or something
ha ha ha...yeah the cruise control is the least of my worries.

Well because I dont know better and I am a monkeyier. I tore it apart again. Fine tuned everything, reset the computer, put it back together, just the key power on I am getting the norm 11-12%, start up I am getting 14-15%. Idles fine. Every now an again I get the searching idle only in park, sometmes it goes away on its own, sometimes if you blip it it'll go away, and sometims I havent left it alone to see if it would go away because I usually shut it down. I am chalking it up as the computer learning because its only in park, in gear I get normal idle, all the parameters check out, and its fresh reset. I figured it up last night and I had driven about 25-30 miles on the old setup with me monkeying around which to me means, and according to superchips, the computer was beginning to learn everything thus correcting itself and me not noticing. Right now I currently have 3-4 miles on the clock under the current setup, and am going to add 17 plus tomorrow. I am going see what happens. If it doesn't go away then I am out things to do or I am missing something. I know some are thinking I should have left it alone the first time, but I would prefer things be right and not rigged. Hopefully someone knows what I mean Till then... Ill cross my fingers.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

so...after all this....do you have a high/surging idle or not? If you still do, I suggest you leave it alone for a few days or a few hundred miles cause you have been buggering with this thing since you installed it....let it all settle out...let the computer adjust...do the throttle sweep thing and go with it for awhile....my 2 cents (take it with a grain of Hokie salt....lol)

Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

Originally Posted by jkeaton
so...after all this....do you have a high/surging idle or not? If you still do, I suggest you leave it alone for a few days or a few hundred miles cause you have been buggering with this thing since you installed it....let it all settle out...let the computer adjust...do the throttle sweep thing and go with it for awhile....my 2 cents (take it with a grain of Hokie salt....lol)
Hokie salt is despicable...blah!

I said it gets a searching idle every so often taht sometimes will go away and it doesnt matter if the wheels are turned/not or the defrost is on/off, but I think its cause the computer hasnt adjusted. What do you mean by the throttle sweep? If you are talking about adjusting the plate, its been done thanks to the info provided my the guy who bought Bobo's. I am driving it for awhile this way to see if it clears up. The computer is suppose to learn within 20-30 miles or I should see a change by then according to Superchips and a couple other forums I have read. I shot Dan, Dan the Fastman aka your friend...lol, an email to to get his input, if he gives any. So we shall seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

lol.....figured you'd like the Hokie thing....but wait...what did they do to you for you to be a hater??? lol jk...the sweep thing is the install, start, go to 2k rpm, hold it, ket it settle, go to 3k, hold it, let it settle...etc, all the way to like 5k....cant remember exactly, all i know is i pissed off my neighbors doing it....its the instructions that come with the tb when it is bought new....i will try to find the thread with the exact procedure, i used it like 10 times with mine (bobby's) trying to solve the high/surge idle issue

Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill PM you the thread page that Nick from Airram commented on for a idle relearn procedure.

There are two ways the Ram guys perform a "Throttle Sweep Learn" and the first: Turn ignition to on. Slowly depress the throttle to full throttle. Slowly release. Turn igntion off. Start.

The second:
Turn ignition on. Mash the pedal to the floor. Hold for 10 seconds. While holding the pedal, turn off the ignition. Hold the pedal for another 10 seconds. Slowly release. Start.

Not sure if either of those actually work ..... just what I have read

Old 02-12-2011, 02:02 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

I am not gloating yet, but I honestly think I was fighting the computer before the last change... so far I have had one searching idle today, but it went away on its own...

Quick Reply: TPS Readings