3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

weird rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weird rattle

okay so now why is it when i'm in texas things start acting up? lol

anyway i was driving to wal-mart and i was at a stop behind a guy who was blocking the turn lane..so i went up on the curb and back down not hard but it was slow...and when i came down from underneath the floor board like were the transmission is started making this clunking sound...like metal to metal...and would do it as soon as i started rolling till about 30 then go away and wouldn't do it when i was still...so i drove back to the interstate and drove the 5 miles back to post at highway speeds with no check engine light or any light coming on or any driveability problems...anyone got any suggestions?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front sway bar link? That things sounds like all hell let loose when it breaks.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

you shoulda been more patient!! jk..seriously, you gotta get up under it and have a look...could it be the exhaust pipe came loose from a hangar or something??

Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

yeah but when i got back to base its not doing it anymore...its not making the noise anymore so i dont think it would be broken...cause if it was wouldn't it still make the noise not just go away? and wouldn't it cause driveability issues?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
rengnath
Champion

Not unless you constantly are taking high speed turns. Get under the truck and see whats up. It shouldnt be a transmission mount or anything .... you would feel that every time you shifted from park to drive.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Fitz-C
Rookie

i vote exhaust related maybe heatsheild or hanger, usually things that go clunk clunk in the steering/suspension/tranny have drive-ability issues after. i did have a Front sway bar link fail on me and make metal on metal noises, but i would only hear it when it hit a bump.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

yeah but the noise is gone...and i did get up underneath the truck and i saw nothing loose or broken or anything...could something have gotten thrown up into the drive shaft and maybe was rattling around? i know it sounds nuts but i drove it around base and have hit bumps and even hopped another curb and it doesn't happen anymore! although i have notice i'm at 50 miles and already on a 3/4 tank of gas mar...gas mileage sucks!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a gremlin on the drive shaft!!!!!!

You may have picked up a stone that could have sat between the muffler and frame rail? or something like that... scooped it up onto a crossmember? who knows...

Keep an eye/ear on that though it could definitely be a serious thing..

Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker

squirel or a racoon..or a cat

Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
eaglescanfly
Rookie

Hey guys i have the same problem. I went over a curb and now I have a steady rattle in my driver side wheel well. This has been an issue over the past year with the dealership finding crap. So yesterday I mounted a waterproof camera with mic in the wheel well and now you can really hear the noise. But still am watching out for what is causing the rattle for me lol......

Quick Reply: weird rattle