3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Fog Lights in ST bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lights in ST bumper

Hey I was just wondering if anyone with an st bumper without fog light holes ever put in fog lights in by either cutting out the hole or buying a bumper with holes, and if so how did the installation go?

If I were to do this I would prabably buy this kit, would this be enough?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/2005-2009-DODGE-D...item4cf50b7437

Last edited by The Dutch Touch; 02-14-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

didnt cheeseburger do that?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
rengnath
Champion

Yes, yes he did. I cant remember where he mentioned it though. He said it was a b!tch ....

Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rengnath
He said it was a b!tch ....
He had a hard time finding the wiring for them I believe..

Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the issue with installing factory fog lamps on our ST trucks (and why I haven't done it yet). The kit from the dealer runs around $150 the last time I checked. It comes with the factory rotory switch, that when depressed, activates the fog lamps. It also comes with the lamps, wiring harness, and bezels. You basically have to remove the ST bumper, cut the holes, slide the bezels in, and then bolt the lamps up. After that, install the wiring harness and new switch. Should be fine right? No. Now you have to go to the dealer and have them Starscan the the motherf%^&er so that they activate.

I'm half way tempted to get the bezels and lamps, and make my own wiring harness so that any time the parking lights are on, so are the fogs. Getting this aftermarket ebay kit might be good if you want to do it this way. However, you will have to get the bezels from Dodge if you want it to look good.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:28 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Here's the issue with installing factory fog lamps on our ST trucks (and why I haven't done it yet). The kit from the dealer runs around $150 the last time I checked. It comes with the factory rotory switch, that when depressed, activates the fog lamps. It also comes with the lamps, wiring harness, and bezels. You basically have to remove the ST bumper, cut the holes, slide the bezels in, and then bolt the lamps up. After that, install the wiring harness and new switch. Should be fine right? No. Now you have to go to the dealer and have them Starscan the the motherf%^&er so that they activate.

I'm half way tempted to get the bezels and lamps, and make my own wiring harness so that any time the parking lights are on, so are the fogs. Getting this aftermarket ebay kit might be good if you want to do it this way. However, you will have to get the bezels from Dodge if you want it to look good.
A simple power, ground and relay setup will do wonders. I had a setup like this on my old dak.. when the parking lights were on they would switch on regardless of headlights being on. You could get real complex and have it setup so that when you high highbeams on they would be off...

Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

You could also get the housings from rock auto and wire them up as donkey mentions. The factory housings are @$13.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 AM
rengnath
Champion

I think another problem was getting the holes cut through the bumper since they are currently closed up with vents.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights in ST bumper