3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lets Talk Exterior Detailing...Take 2!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets Talk Exterior Detailing...Take 2!

Take 2! I tried putting this in the detailing section of the forum and only got 1 halfhearted response.

Alright guys, I graduate college in a month and have landed a job. For the longest time I have wanted to splurge on Zaino but time after time I have convinced myself that my money would be better spent elsewhere. Now that I will have decent money rolling in I figured it was just about that time! I took a little hiatus from all my forums (about 2 years worth) but recently I have had more free time on my hands and I appear to be back ...But in the past few days that I have been back I have heard bad things about the new formula Zaino has been using and I just wanted to get your opinions on it. I would spend hours upon hours detailing my vehicles at home (using basic products trying to get the best results I could) but while I have been at school I have slacked on my truck (my dd - although my baby is a '93 Firehawk) and I am pretty sure I will also splurge on a porter cable. I would like to get pretty serious about this. Before I just start buying pads (I have done a little research) and other equipment I was just wondering what is your setup? What cutting agents (polishes), waxes and other products are you using? Are you using a sealant instead? What products have you used and disliked? Fill me in.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm paying attention. Cant offer much because I want to learn. Sully would have some good info since he runs a detailing business...

Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I'm paying attention. Cant offer much because I want to learn. Sully would have some good info since he runs a detailing business...

Yeah! What Kent said!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM
rengnath
Champion

I get good results with liquid glass. Ill be doing a clay, polish, liquid glass for a couple coats, and then a coat of mothers wax.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

i got swirl marks and overspray....i've tried the clay bar, it dont do squat. I've tried rubbing compound, that just dulls the paint...

Old 04-06-2011, 04:21 PM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by jkeaton
i got swirl marks and overspray....i've tried the clay bar, it dont do squat. I've tried rubbing compound, that just dulls the paint...
The problem with getting clear coat overspray off is clear coat is supposed to protect the paint and not come off. You'll most likely need a chemical to get if off, but you have to be careful not to strip your factory clear coat while trying to disolve the overspray. I would suggest gasoline, its a great cleaner and I have used it on my paint before with no ill effects.
Swirl marks are another story. To fix them, you actually need to strip off a layer of clear coat with a polish, but there's a good chance that you will just make it worse if you don't have the technique needed. Swirl marks are a problem for all dark colored vehicals unfortunatly.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

yeah, I figured I'd have to get it taken care of professionally.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM
rengnath
Champion

Yeah, the overspray shoudnt be too hard to get off. You just gotta find what will take it off without destroying your paint.

I wish I could take my truck in to a detailing shop and get the paint repaired, but its big bucks. You could buy a small country for the price that it would cost to throughly fix and remove all swirl marks on one of our trucks. lol

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Exterior Detailing...Take 2!