3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Oil Weights

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:54 AM
dodgedkota08
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats weird I'm in VT and mine calls for 5w20, I think I'll just run 5w30. I always run synthetic Mobil 1 or Royal purple. Speaking of royal purple, has anyone used royal purple ice? I just bought some last night so I'm curious if it will work. Also going to be changing over to all royal purple, is it hard to change front dif, trans, and transfer case?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:09 AM
rick4dak
Veteran

When I drained/changed my anti-freeze and put a 180 degree thermostat in last year, I also put Purple Ice in. The temp needle usually stays lower on the dial than before but I can't say that it's the Purple Ice doing anything.
When the weather is really hot and I'm driving in town, the needle goes to where it used to be before changing the thermostat.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:49 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

My bad. I run 5w-30 in the truck. 5w-20 in the wife's car and 10w-30 in my sons car. Get them confused in my head sometimes....

Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM
wingman_214
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
My bad. I run 5w-30 in the truck. 5w-20 in the wife's car and 10w-30 in my sons car. Get them confused in my head sometimes....

Thats why i told my 16yo that he isnt driving any of my vehicles untill he can change his own oil, air filter, and the spare tire.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Blackheart4355

Hi,

I use synthetic 5-20 in everything I own. Plus I will be teaching my 15 yr old everything he needs to know in vehicle maintenance this summer. That way I will worry less when he's driving my vehicles that if he gets a flat, or something goes wrong there is a chance that he might figure out what's wrong and maybe get himself to somewhere safe...

Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 AM
dodgedkota08
Rookie

Since I want to switch over to royal purple and that stuff isnt cheap, do you guys know if it's hard to switch the fluids in the front diff, trans, and transfer case? I would like to do as much as I can by myself.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:57 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgedkota08
Since I want to switch over to royal purple and that stuff isnt cheap, do you guys know if it's hard to switch the fluids in the front diff, trans, and transfer case? I would like to do as much as I can by myself.
Diffs are not hard at all. unbolt the cover, drain, seal the cover back on and refill. The transfer case, I'm not sure about, maybe it has a drain plug and a fill plug? I was up under mine a couple nights ago just to have a look myself and noticed both diffs have red RTV for the gaskets and it does not look factory so mine have been done sometime in the recent past. Found out my truck belonged to the DOT in Alabama so it was apparently serviced quite regularly. That explains why the front end is so tight, everything has been replaced already...still with factory junk, no doubt...

Old 05-24-2011, 08:09 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgedkota08
Thats weird I'm in VT and mine calls for 5w20, I think I'll just run 5w30. I always run synthetic Mobil 1 or Royal purple. Speaking of royal purple, has anyone used royal purple ice? I just bought some last night so I'm curious if it will work. Also going to be changing over to all royal purple, is it hard to change front dif, trans, and transfer case?

Yeah, I put the RP Ice in my Grand Cherokee (4.7 HO). When I installed my front receiver hitch it blocks the lower portion of my radiator. Noticed I was running about 10* hotter than normal as soon as the 85* plus days started hitting in the south last spring. Was going to put a cooler t-stat in just to get the system flowing sooner and hoping that would be enough, but I actually saw the Purple Ice in my local NAPA when I went to buy the T-stat and decided to try it first.
I took about 10 ounces out of the radiator (which was what was above the fins inside and could be siphoned out easy) poured the bottle in until full and dumped the rest of the bottle in the overflow res.

The Jeep responded to the stuff by running about 7 or 8* cooler than it had been, not quite the 10* that blocking the radiator gained, but close enough for my money (which was $14.95 for the Purple Ice).

Given the failures that Chrysler radiators are noted for, I think another plus is the additives the product has that are supposed to inhibit rust and deposits in the system as well...

As far as the oil goes, the '04 & '05 Hemi Rams are IDENTICAL in every way except some PCM programming and the '04s call for 5w-30 while the '05s call for 5w-20. I was told by a service manager at a dealership who I play golf with on occasion that the move to 5w-20 in between the '04 & '05 years was simply for uniformity with the rest of the Chrysler line, that either would be fine until the '06s where 5w-20 is crucial for proper MDS operation. So I don't think where the Daks (or pre-'06 Rams) are concerned, it really matters whether you use 5w-20 or 5w-30.
My '02 Grand Cherokee calls for 10w-30 in both the book and on the cap and it's what I've always used. Full synthetic although I'm not very brand specific. I tend to buy whatever name-brand oil is on sale on a deal with a good filter which at last oil change was Valvoline SynPower (5 qts. with a K&N filter for $27.95, plus like $5 and change for the extra quart).
I've used Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Valvoline and Castrol Edge in both the Jeep and the truck (always full synthetic) and I tend to buy a Wix if I'm just buying a filter, but if one comes with the oil, I'll pretty much stick to Mobil 1, Purolator or one of the Champion Brands made filters (K&N, Royal Purple, Mopar, etc.). If they have a synthetic oil I like on sale with a sh*t filter (like Fram), most auto parts stores will let you swap for another brand as long as it's in the same price range...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM
dodgedkota08
Rookie

Thanks for the detailed reply. I ended up buying some or the purple ice that night and put it in. I needed 13 oz's and the bottle was 12 oz's so I just dumped the bottle and called it close enough. I did my oil change over the weekend with 5w30 and I think thats what I will stay with. Next are the remainder of the fluids ,hopefully it will help out with my mpg's a little bit.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM
poptop22
Amateur

I recently picked up some mobil 1 10w30 real cheap.. I have a 3.7 and am in the chicago area. Would it be ok to run this oil in the summer time or should i try to swap it out somewhere for 5w20 /5w30. I do alot of stop and go driving.

Quick Reply: Oil Weights