3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Driving Problems after new Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:52 PM
viper8399
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Driving Problems after new Suspension

Ok guys need some help here. While I really love the ride in the truck now something is defiantly not right and I'd like some opinions on the matter. The truck drives great a speeds up to 55-60 mph. I have to turn the wheel a little to the left to drive straight, maybe 2-4 degrees. The problem is about 60, especially around 70-80 mph. The front of the truck shakes very bad, to me feels like right front tire is way out of balance, also having to turn the wheel more like 7-10 degrees to keep straight. Also noticed when driving straight the tires feel like they are turning without my input and I have to make slight corrections. After I had the suspension put in I did go and have the truck aligned, and tires rotated and balance because it was time to do it. Funny thing is the tech told me the right front toe was way out otherwise just minor adjustments were made. Any opinion on the matter would be great so I can be somewhat educated when I go back to the shop for them to fix this.

Just for some quick info I have the 17" chrome clad wheels, and just put in Ranchos on front with Moog Suspension mounts and lower Moog ball joints. On the rear I just had Monroe coil over's put in. I did notice the ball joint on the sway bar mount was busted on the drivers side put every thing else check out. Sad thing about the shop who did the algnment was they said the front looked real solid no problems but they did not even notice the ball joint busted.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:21 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

When you change suspension components you need to get another alignment. As for the tire shake sounds somewhat like an inner tie rod.

Also take it to another alighment shop. A reputable one would not have aligned it with out inspection and refuse to align a vehicle with bad componants.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wingman_214
When you change suspension components you need to get another alignment. As for the tire shake sounds somewhat like an inner tie rod.

Also take it to another alighment shop. A reputable one would not have aligned it with out inspection and refuse to align a vehicle with bad componants.
Agreed. If you never had this problem before, and all of the sudden it is apparent with the change of struts and shocks...something is severly wrong with the shop that did the work.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 AM
viper8399
Amateur

To be honest the guy who put the suspension in did not align it because I asked him not to. After he put it in I brought it to a certain "national retailer" who I buy all my tires from and had them do it because I have an alignment and tire warranty there for both my cars. They would not put in customer supplied parts so I had to have someone else do it. I also wanted someone I trusted to double check the work. They looked everything over and said everything looked great. Only problem they saw was the toe being way out on the front passenger tire. I just find it suspicious that it "feels" to me that is were the problem is coming from. To be honest, the truck felt real good until I had the alignment done. In my opion it was the second shop but I've been wrong before.

If the tie rod is going, is there something I can looks for?

At this point I'm not sure which shop to trust. I'm hoping I can give you guys enough info to lead me on the correct path.

Last edited by viper8399; 06-20-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 AM
wingman_214
Veteran

Sounds like you went to firestone.

Take it to yet another shop, or have the service writer go on a ride with you.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 AM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had kinda the same thing after i got my struts installed and an alignment done. Now it pulls slightly to the right and the steering wheel is not centered. Just like you I have to turn it slightly to the left to keep the truck straight. The shop has re-checked it and said the alignment is good but I dont believe them.
SO I'm gonna try a different shop since I got new wheels to put on.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 AM
viper8399
Amateur

Yes you would be correct on that. I'm defiantly going to take it back the Firestone first since I paid them to do it right. If they still can't get it correct, I'll try the guy who installed the suspension and see what he says.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

I've had good luck with firestone.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:43 AM
viper8399
Amateur

Yea I've got to admit I've never had a problem myself. In your guys opinions, could it just be a bad balanced tire that is causing all the problems. I've seen on here the 17" chrome wheels can sometimes be a pain to balance.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:22 AM
wingman_214
Veteran

You can always take it somewhere that has a hunter roadforce balancer.

Quick Reply: Driving Problems after new Suspension