3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Long Arm Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Kota0010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Arm Suspension Setup

I've tried searching for some info on a long arm setup, but I cant seem to find anything out there. Atleast not for the Dak.

So, I would some feed back if possible.

I want to go buy a donor truck, preferably a jeep TJ and steal its 4 link front and rear suspension along with it's front axle and steering setup with gear box. I know there is a lot of custome fabbing to be done. And a lot of headaches in the future, but it would definately be a sight to see on the 3rd gen dak.

So, what do you think?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:57 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Kota0010
I've tried searching for some info on a long arm setup, but I cant seem to find anything out there. Atleast not for the Dak.

So, I would some feed back if possible.

I want to go buy a donor truck, preferably a jeep TJ and steal its 4 link front and rear suspension along with it's front axle and steering setup with gear box. I know there is a lot of custome fabbing to be done. And a lot of headaches in the future, but it would definately be a sight to see on the 3rd gen dak.

So, what do you think?
I friend of mine has a jeep and the other day i was looking at the suspension and was thinking the same!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Kota0010

Originally Posted by dakota_raven
I friend of mine has a jeep and the other day i was looking at the suspension and was thinking the same!!!
I know, right! I mean the framework looks similar minus the ifs parts. I need to start doing some homework for this.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Kota0010

Ok. So after looking at and reading roughly 20 or so forum posts and google searches and looking at over a good 100 pictures of the under body of the front suspension of the dak and a cherokee, I came up with a few things...

1. I'm going to need stock in asprin for multiple head aches.
2. I need a donor cherokee. I'm choosing the cherokee's over the wrangler's suspension because the rear leaf setup and frame work on the cherokee is closer to that of the Dak rather than the wranglers 4 point rear suspension. Besides, it's easier and cheaper to find a cherokee than a tj wrangler.
3. I know the bushings from the cherokee control arms are going to need replacing, and the rear end is going to need new leafs. However I don't want thick leafs. Anyone know of a set of leafs from any truck that has a stack of thin leafs? This way the flex and ride is smoother.

Well, that's all for now. Hopefully I can get started on this soon.

I'm open to any and all ideas...

Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Kota0010

After thinking really hard and trying to set a budget for this build, I realized it wouldn't be as hard nor *** expensive as I thought. I should be starting this build within the upcoming weeks, but no later than next month.

I could be wrong but I think the hardest part is going to be centering the 4 point setup so there's no alignment issues. Hmmm.... How to avoid this. Any ideas.

I'm going to try and edit pictures, combining a cherokee's front suspension with a 3rd gen Dak just to give you a visual.

I can't to start...

Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the front axle on a wagonneer or a CJ7 its the same bolt patern as ours so you wont need to swap the rear.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Kota0010

After spending the majority of the last couple days on jeepforum.com, I know exactly what the donor vehicle will be. 89-95 Jeep Cherokee 4cyl model. I chose this for quite a bit of reasons.

1. BUDGET.
2. The 4cyl model comes with 4.10 gears
3. 89-95 cherokees came equipt with ABS. I can still utilize my stock ABS from the Dak
4. The bolt pattern is the 5 x 4.5. I like the 15" rim option over the 16" the Dak has. A few more options out there because of this.

More to come.

I know pics keep a thread alive and I'm trying my best to get some up here.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Kota0010

Originally Posted by Dakkkota
use the front axle on a wagonneer or a CJ7 its the same bolt patern as ours so you wont need to swap the rear.
I don't want to go with a leafed front suspension. I'm going for the least metal fabbing so the cherokee already has a 4 point setup. No axle working required. One less thing to fab. Thanks for the feed back though. It keeps me thinking.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Six_Shooter
Veteran
Old 06-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Kota0010

Originally Posted by six_shooter
this is how i would like to do mine:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/feature...4x4/index.html

yes!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Long Arm Suspension Setup