3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

mtx thunderform and p3s

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:41 AM
nicholas9393
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mtx thunderform and p3s

just a heads up to anyone wanting to put a sub into the quad cab. the mtx thunderform fits amazingly back there but i also had a rockford p3 shallow 10" which does not fit into the 10" thunderform. the heavy duty mounting bracket on the p3 is just too large and cant fit because of the raised indentions to keep the seat off the sub. i had to go with a JL w1 or whatever it is, which is ok but not nearly the p3

Old 07-04-2011, 10:52 AM
lootownpunx
Professional

pics?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:57 PM
ballsout
Professional

Originally Posted by nicholas9393
just a heads up to anyone wanting to put a sub into the quad cab. the mtx thunderform fits amazingly back there but i also had a rockford p3 shallow 10" which does not fit into the 10" thunderform. the heavy duty mounting bracket on the p3 is just too large and cant fit because of the raised indentions to keep the seat off the sub. i had to go with a JL w1 or whatever it is, which is ok but not nearly the p3
dont be too disappointed the P3 isn't anything special, its loud but extremely delicate, i blew 4 of them in 6 months a few years ago

Old 07-04-2011, 02:40 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya on the mounting depth, I ended up goin with a Kicker 10" shallow mount competition sub. Hits plenty hard for what I was looking for. and you are right sir, I love the way it fits behind the seat. The only thing I didn't like was that, at least for me, it didn't sit flush on the floor behind the seat because of the mounting bolts for the seat, but I solved that by just getting a piece of 2 inch foam block and cut it to fit, plus I got a couple sq ft of 1/2 in foam to put behind it, so it doesnt rattle against the back of the cab. Easy install and it sounds great. One thing I really love about it, is that from outside the truck you don't just hear rattling bass, you mostly hear the actualy song, lol. but inside it hits pretty hard.

I'm sure you want to see a pic of the one he has for sale, but til he gets a chance to put one up, here is a pic of mine to give yall an idea of what it looks like.

IMG_0899.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 PM
lootownpunx
Professional

hmmm how well does the back of the seat go on..does is go on flush like before?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Originally Posted by lootownpunx
hmmm how well does the back of the seat go on..does is go on flush like before?
Sure does, goes back easy and you cant even tell its there, just keep in mind that whoever sits behind the driver will get a great massage.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 AM
nicholas9393
Professional

yeah sorry i aint got any pics of the install cuz i got lazy and had the local audio shop put it in. would of done it myself but i didnt feel like messing with the door speakers. dominator ive been getting what may be the cab rattling myself, but i wasnt sure cuz it only does it on songs with alot of bass so i dont know if its that or if the sub is hitting the back of the seat maybe? its not a huge deal cuz i listen to mostly rock anyways, i just like to blare some katy perry every now and again to embarrase whoever is ridin with me haha

Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 PM
italiandominator
All Star

yeah sorry i aint got any pics of the install cuz i got lazy and had the local audio shop put it in. would of done it myself but i didnt feel like messing with the door speakers. dominator ive been getting what may be the cab rattling myself, but i wasnt sure cuz it only does it on songs with alot of bass so i dont know if its that or if the sub is hitting the back of the seat maybe? its not a huge deal cuz i listen to mostly rock anyways, i just like to blare some katy perry every now and again to embarrase whoever is ridin with me haha
I know exactly what your saying about the "cab rattle". First thing I figured out was that since the sub vibrates the back of the seat so much that if you have anything sitting on it, it will vibrate too and make noise, but when I took the seat back off, after having used it for a couple months, to put in the foam padding, I found that the sub was hitting the back of the seat and that there were actually a couple points on the woofer that were starting to show signs of wear from rubbing on the seat, so I ended up stripping off the seat cover and did two things. First I trimmed the back of the foam padding of the seat back to create a little more space, but then I also bent the two support wires forward (away from the sub) because that's what seemed to be causing the wear on the woofer. After I reinstalled everything it seems to be sounding a lot better, plus with the foam padding between the sub box and anything hard that it sits up against, I haven't really had any issues with cab rattle anymore, but like you said it also has to do with what kind of music you are listening to and how much and what kind of bass the song has. In the end I absolutely love it though! I get all the bass I could want, and everything is hidden so I get a nice clean look.

(FYI, when I got my thunderform, I only got the shell, no sub or preinstalled amp, I went with my own sub and kicker amp, which I think makes a big difference)

Quick Reply: mtx thunderform and p3s