3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Heim Steering Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 PM
gjmoran
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he fabs them himself

Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea you can only get them from me (projekt dirt fabrication) you can visit the Facebook page in the top corner of this post. Were setting up the online shopping cart right now. Were also going to have tube prerunner bolt on bumpers soon.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Longlivedakota
Rookie

Originally Posted by 06dak287
Yea you can only get them from me (projekt dirt fabrication) you can visit the Facebook page in the top corner of this post. Were setting up the online shopping cart right now. Were also going to have tube prerunner bolt on bumpers soon.
Excellent! Thanks for the info!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cheeseburger
reasonable price is reasonable.
Yea we figured it's a good medium price. Other companies sell ranger steering kits for 399 and your getting almost $200 worth of Heim joints, bolts, and metal.

I'm not trying to get rich, just give y'all some sweet aftermarket shtuff.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:40 AM
sleds
Veteran

Hey guys. Just finished the heavy duty steering upgrade for the 3rd gen dakotas. Heres a few pics on whats involved. super easy installation.

Shweet!
P.S. Tie-rod pictured has a tube welded in the middle due to relocating the setup from on top of the spindle back to the factory location. Real Tie-rod is one piece tubing with welded bungs. Strength isn't an issue here. but its no prom queen.
Why did you have to change the length going back from on top the spindle back to the stock location? Did it not work on top of the spindle? Looks great by the way!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Because the tie rod has to be shorter to be on top of the spindle because it's closer to the rack. But caused nasty bump steer due to the shorter length. Went back to the bottom and added to the tie rod to a secret length and it's so much better. Lost a few degrees but it's still way better than any balljoint will give you

Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

When will these be available? I'm getting ready to redo my suspension and this would be a great upgrade. Any warranty on them?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM
sleds
Veteran

Because the tie rod has to be shorter to be on top of the spindle because it's closer to the rack. But caused nasty bump steer due to the shorter length. Went back to the bottom and added to the tie rod to a secret length and it's so much better. Lost a few degrees but it's still way better than any balljoint will give you
Would a steering dampener setup take the bump steer away?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:00 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BAdassR/T
When will these be available? I'm getting ready to redo my suspension and this would be a great upgrade. Any warranty on them?
available right now. We havent got the shopping cart setup on the facebook page yet so if you want them we have to do it old school over email and paypal or something.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sleds
Would a steering dampener setup take the bump steer away?
No. Steering dampeners just take the violent shaking away. They dont actually prevent the naturual geometry of the suspension from doing its things. i wont get into suspension dynamics but theres a certain formula for the tie rod length and lower control arm length and when the tie rod was on top it "scribed" a different arch then the spindle and control arms which cause the toe to move in and out as the suspension cycled.

But extending the tie rod and moving it back to the factory location ended that completely and actually tightened up the steering feel but unleashed a smoother unrestricted movement. also i noticed the steering wheel doesnt go flying around when i hit potholes and divets in the road. no wander at all. stays straight and also no more clunk noise some of you might have noticed when coming off a speed bump.

Quick Reply: Heim Steering Upgrade