3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Heim Steering Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok no problem if this solves, the whole pot hole bounce all over the place I'm in. I'll be pming you soon

Old 10-11-2011, 02:24 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BAdassR/T
Any warranty on them?

anything we make has a free replacement no bull crap warranty. we dont make the heim joints or spacers so if any of those break you have to go to the manufacture. the tie rods and clevis we make in house and IF they break, well send you a new one. but oh my if you break this setup....youve got bigger problems lol

Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 AM
TomZ
Professional

What is the composition of the steel? Here in the salt belt, the alloy is a consideration. Would you consider offering a powder coat option?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TomZ
What is the composition of the steel? Here in the salt belt, the alloy is a consideration. Would you consider offering a powder coat option?
the tie rod is seamless DOM. the bungs are chromoly, and the heims are chromoly. the rule of thumb for maintenance on heim joints is spray them down with silicone spray every once in a while. other than that they are maintenance free.

Yes id be more than happy to run the kit down to a powder coater if your willing to pay for it.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:55 PM
silverbullit
Amateur

Those look good! Want to hear more about that prerunner style bar though!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:51 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by silverbullit
Those look good! Want to hear more about that prerunner style bar though!
Were designing that right now. Hoping to achieve 100% bolt on. And of course aluminum skid plate and light tabs. Also figuring out approach angle. Shouldnt be long

Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOur fabricating and selling these, @ $299 for the set?

Forget about off-loading...

This is a much needed upgrade, even for the daily 3rd gen dakota work truck. What is the general estimated life of a heim joint? I have no experience with these things outside of hearing that they are offered with some lift kits..

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 11-10-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:58 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Well it's main intended purpose was for some hardcore off road abuse but they showed pretty impressive street and daily driver gains as well, and being how cheesey the stock **** is, we figured this was a needed upgrade even for stock trucks. But mainly because it saved the rack with a leveling spacer and is pretty much bombproof. And super easy to adjust and service if needed.

The life varies based on the environment. I know guys with dirt trucks/ daily drivers that are seeing 100k out of them.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 PM
rapta619
Professional

i have an 07 4x4 with a plow, will this beef up the front end, i want to put new struts on too next spring, will this work?

also im juuuuust finishing up my suspension upgrades, but this looks like a must!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:26 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

the steering kit wont hold up the truck any better with the plow because they arent involved in the suspension. but trying to steering the truck with either bigger snow tires and that plow would take its toll on the thin factory tie rods. youd probably run into bending a tie rod or popping a balljoint on the outter tie rod or even fracturing the ball or socket on the inner tie rod. cant happen with the upgrade. even if for some miracle you were to totally fracture the ball on the heim joints. a bolt passes through the whole thing. unlike a balljoint which is just the lower half. and the body of these heim joints are hardened chromoly

Quick Reply: Heim Steering Upgrade