3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:10 PM
bandito40
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment issues

Hi,

Have been a member for about 3 years and this is pretty much my first post. Problem that I am having other then the alignment is a bit off, when I turn full left my truck practically stops at low speeds but when I turn full right it's fine. This summer I replaced both lower ball joints, the upper driver's side control arm, and the passenger side tie rod (after I had a garage check it out and replaced the parts myself). I just got new tires and need to do with an alignment but before I go I would like to fix the steering issue if it requires parts to be replaced. My question is what could be causing this steering effect. Is it just that the alignment is off or do I need to replace some other parts. Last summer I did both stabilizer links and this summer I also did the front brake pads and rotors. I still get a bit of vibration from the front passenger side at high speeds and it intensifies when I touch the brakes. I guess what I am really asking is could it be the upper control arm on the passenger side, the tie rod on the driver side, the wheel bearings or is it because the alignment is off. It does pull a bit to the left. The steering issue started about two months after I replaced some of the front end parts this summer. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2005 SLT Quad cab V8 2 wheel drive and all steering parts were replaced with moogs.

Last edited by bandito40; 11-12-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 PM
bandito40
Rookie

Well, for those you care to read this thread I have gone and done my alignment. It did help the turning issue a bit but it turns out the steering box is worn is the alignment will always be off. They told be it would be about $1000 to replace the steering box so I may try it myself. Will post when I get to that point.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I couldn't figure what the problem was, hope you get it sorted out.
I'm guessing this is a new issue around here.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:20 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

Sorry never head of such a problem.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

eimer is ther only one with rack issuesaround here that I know of and his problem was different from yours. sounds like you found yet another potential front end issue with these trucks...

Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
bandito40
Rookie

Perhaps but the steering was always a bit loose since I bought the truck in 2008. Of course there is more play today but with 262,000 kilometers (163,000 miles) I would says play in the steering rack is normal and probably not a potential front end issue but more of a ware and tare issue. One other thing that the garage had mentioned was that since the alignment is off that may be causing the pulsating in the right front wheel when braking at high speeds as I have recently replaced the rotors, pads, lower ball joint and outer tie rod and that didn't fix it but reduced it.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you align the truck at dodge? if no try them...my alignement was off till i go to dodge

Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 PM
bandito40
Rookie

I took the front passenger side caliper off and tried to see if it was seized. Both pistons clamped in with ease and the sliding pins had lots of grease and would moved freely as long as the adapter was moved straight. Both pads had even wear. The adapter would jam if it wasn't moved straight. Perhaps I have a a caliper with the wrong size sliding pins or something which means the when I turn left the rotor could be pulling on the adapter side incorrectly causing it to jam.

Appears to be fine now and when I do the tight left turn test. Will have to keep an eye on for the next few days. Is it possible to buy a new set of sliding pins and an adapter without buying a whole caliper?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:22 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

Just something to try perhaps resurface the rear brake drums?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
bandito40
Rookie

How would resurfacing the rear brake drums effect the front brakes?

Quick Reply: alignment issues