3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Too poor for a borla, getting a Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:30 AM
DM_kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I believe the longer the length, the less interior noise you will have. the tip does nothing but make it look better.
So I did some research you are right in general the longer the muffler the less harsh the sound from it...I am going to go with the 18" muffler.

How much do you think a shop would charge to put a muffler and new Y on? I can do it but it is getting cold

Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My first aftermarket was an imco, never heard of them but decided to try it, excellent sound, no drone. lasted 3 yrs, the sand and salt from winter ate it up

www.imcoweb.com

Last edited by superdak05; 11-30-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: adding
Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Dakota_05
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=2946
This is what I have on mine. Magnaflow catback. Got it on closeout for like 300 bucks! I love it. It does drone at highway speeds a little, but I love the sound.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran
Default What about dumping in front of your tire?

Originally Posted by DM_kota
I have been working on mods for the dakota, going for efficiency and am going to try to unrestrict the exhaust system a bit so it breathes better.
I've read that dumping out in front of the rear passenger tire is the most efficient way. It's just louder in the cab, and directs your sound differently/out the side. Also, you'd be reducing your truck's weight a bit (every ounce counts).

Does anyone know more about that?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
I've read that dumping out in front of the rear passenger tire is the most efficient way. It's just louder in the cab, and directs your sound differently/out the side. Also, you'd be reducing your truck's weight a bit (every ounce counts).

;

At first I removed my muffler and back half entirely, just the front resonator was left. It was loud and mean, drone was high but mostly the motor was just so loud... I got a Thrush Welded Muffler (like a flowmaster) and an 18 inch pipe. The 18 inch went before the muffler to bring it back to even with the bed. No tail pipe.

This actually made the drone even worse, I then hacked the resonator off the back half and put the stock tube that goes over the axle back on. This turned out to be the best solution, idle is a quiet deep rumble and WOT screams with no drone at all.

I was very surprised what a difference it made to just simply add those three bends that go over the axle. Sounds much more professional and less like a hackjob.

edit... I basically did this setup for $60 instead of $340 lol

Last edited by FrenicX; 12-03-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:19 PM
JimBio
Professional

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton

Yes, I have had dumped flowmaster, magnaflow and hooker aerochambers. Be careful because if you have a drone, dumping it will make it worse inside the cab (most of the time). Flowmaster was the worst, large magnaflow was ok, hooker sounded great with no drone.

I had a spintech dual side exhaust system, the fact that it was duals negated any weight savings. Sound was the same really just louder towards that side. Didn't care for that system, rotted out quick and sounded like poop.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:57 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by JimBio
Yes, I have had dumped flowmaster, magnaflow and hooker aerochambers. Be careful because if you have a drone, dumping it will make it worse inside the cab (most of the time). Flowmaster was the worst, large magnaflow was ok, hooker sounded great with no drone.

I had a spintech dual side exhaust system, the fact that it was duals negated any weight savings. Sound was the same really just louder towards that side. Didn't care for that system, rotted out quick and sounded like poop.

I don't plan on dumping it, and I had a flowmaster before and I really didn't care for it. I am going to do a single exhaust and the Y pipe....the plan is to take out the resonators and go to the back and then off to the side like a Ram has it, if I was going to dual they would be straight out the back.

I think i am going to take it in for the work, I just imagine it wont take as much for someone who gets paid to do it vs me laying on my back and doing it.

I am getting this muffler and the Y pipe.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 PM
gjmoran
Captain

+1 for magnaflow

Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Don't forget Gibson, it seems like they often get overlooked. I've been using them for years. The one on my Dakota is the 4th system I've bought for the last 4 trucks I've owned. They're priced well, even in stainless. I have the single 3" sideswept and love it.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Guess what's going on the truck right now

Quick Reply: Too poor for a borla, getting a Magnaflow