3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Too poor for a borla, getting a Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 AM
DM_kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too poor for a borla, getting a Magnaflow

I have been working on mods for the dakota, going for efficiency and am going to try to unrestrict the exhaust system a bit so it breathes better.

I had it down to 3 choices, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, and Borla....I can't pony up for the Borla; too expensive, and I have heard it preached that the flowmasters can drone one out quite easily.

so I am thinking of going with a run of the mill Preformace Magnaflow, and right now advanced is having one heck of a sale ( 20 off 100, with 50 dollar gift card in the mail) and free shipping, so I found this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2023P____

I am really close to getting this one, I know a preformace one will have a bit more rumble (which I want) and I am getting the Y pipe too so it helps it out. Does anyone here have one of these and should I leave the resonator on or should i pipe that through then put the muffler on only?

Give me a reason not to drop the hammer on it.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I have a similar, but mines single in dual out. I really like the sound. There is some drone at 70 mph but it is not that bad, imo. Maybe I've gotten used to it.... Waaayyyy much better than the flowmaster I had on it before. I'm thinking about going for a borla now myself.....

Old 11-29-2011, 10:59 AM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I have a similar, but mines single in dual out. I really like the sound. There is some drone at 70 mph but it is not that bad, imo. Maybe I've gotten used to it.... Waaayyyy much better than the flowmaster I had on it before. I'm thinking about going for a borla now myself.....
Crazy thought, what if i took out the resonator, made it about half the length, then put that on in front of the muffler... ???

I had a flowmaster 40 on my 318 Jeep GC... that had a drone, so I can;t imagine a magnaflow would be worse on the dakota.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:29 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is what I did. Removed both resonators and put in a Magnaflow muffler, #12256. Sounds great, like jkeaton, a little interior noise around 65-70 mph, but not really bad at all.
You're gonna get some noise inside the truck with any system, unless you soundproof the entire cab.

The muffler you're looking at is 2.25", the one I installed 2.5", so a little less restriction I guess, not sure if it really matters.
Whichever muffler you install, add a nice tip, like a magnaflow, not a Walmart one!

Magnaflow muffler #12256

http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1225...2587096&sr=1-1
Magnaflow tip #38204
http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-3520...2587624&sr=1-1

Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you guys think of glasspacks? My paps used to swear by them before the ricers took 'em over. But how do they sound on a V8?

Old 11-29-2011, 02:15 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Here is what I did. Removed both resonators and put in a Magnaflow muffler, #12256. Sounds great, like jkeaton, a little interior noise around 65-70 mph, but not really bad at all.
You're gonna get some noise inside the truck with any system, unless you soundproof the entire cab.

The muffler you're looking at is 2.25", the one I installed 2.5", so a little less restriction I guess, not sure if it really matters.
Whichever muffler you install, add a nice tip, like a magnaflow, not a Walmart one!
What makes the huge difference in the length of mufflers? I found a 14inch round one and 18 inch oval one... differen't exit locations, but I kinda like the profile of the 14inch round one. not to mention it is a 18 dollar difference

What does the tip do really? I dont have one now on it.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I believe the longer the length, the less interior noise you will have. the tip does nothing but make it look better.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:00 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same setup as dakotaff. It sounds great, maybe a little be quiet for my taste but I'm definitely satisfied. I think its alot louder than I think it just has very little cab drone. I love to roll down the back window and listen to that Magnaflow roar! I'm going to have to have a friend do a driveby for me so I know what my truck actually sounds like (: No matter what muffler you decide on get rid of BOTH resonators. Trust me..they steal all the sound from the exhaust system and the 4.7 roar is nothing you want to hide

Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The tip is only for show. I figure if it sounds good, it should look good too.

At first I only removed the rear resonator and it was really quiet. A short drive around the block and drove my truck right back into the shop to remove the front one too. Your truck may have one or two resonators, one before and one after the muffler, fyi.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 AM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenicX
What do you guys think of glasspacks? My paps used to swear by them before the ricers took 'em over. But how do they sound on a V8?
I have a glasspack and no resonators. I love it. A little drone at highway speeds but not too bad. I drove from az to wv then to ak without it bugging me

Quick Reply: Too poor for a borla, getting a Magnaflow