3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Too poor for a borla, getting a Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DM_kota
Guess what's going on the truck right now
So did ya do the mag or splurge for borla? single in/out? dual out?... dual in??

Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 PM
DM_kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stuck with the Magnaflow, cleaned up the Y pipe and then new pipe out... has a really good ruble when idling... just hope that the drone isn't bad on interstate at 70

Ill have to get photos and a sound clip later on.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:06 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

stuck with the Magnaflow, cleaned up the Y pipe and then new pipe out... has a really good ruble when idling... just hope that the drone isn't bad on interstate at 70

Ill have to get photos and a sound clip later on.

I've noticed that drone seems to depend a lot on where the muffler is and where it dumps. I extended my flowmaster knock-off 18 inches reward to just before the axle, I used the stock tailpipe with the resonator sawed off so it dumps right after the axle, this brought the drone to nothing and it still sounds awesome. The most 'droney' configuration I found was actually with the first resonator, with the 18" extension, and bare muffler with no tip.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 AM
DM_kota
Professional

so I have been driving it with the magnaflow on..... it was placed about a foot back from where the stock muffler was, it drones at 1500-2000 rpm.... what can i do to kill that drone just a bit?

Would putting the resonator on before the muffler be a waste of time, or would it tone it down a bit?

I like it overall, I just don't like driving b/t 35-45mph at 1700 RPM... its pretty noticable.

Oh I don't have a tip on it, is there one that would help?

Last edited by DM_kota; 12-22-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:31 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

so I have been driving it with the magnaflow on..... it was placed about a foot back from where the stock muffler was, it drones at 1500-2000 rpm.... what can i do to kill that drone just a bit?

Would putting the resonator on before the muffler be a waste of time, or would it tone it down a bit?

I like it overall, I just don't like driving b/t 35-45mph at 1700 RPM... its pretty noticable.

Oh I don't have a tip on it, is there one that would help?
A tip might help, i got a fiber lined resonator tip but it just made it worse, bringing it over the axle would help more. those 3 bends and putting the dump further back helped a lot.

when i left the first resonator on before the y pipe, i had a very nice aggressive sound and it wasnt loud at all and that's with a flowmaster knockoff, just good and throaty.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

When I put my Magnaflow on, I thought it was a bit loud in the cabin too. I don't know if I just got used to it, but it got less noticeable as time went by. It's not really loud, but it is there, which I love now. Whatever exhaust you put on, if it makes noise outside, it's gonna make some noise inside. Mine dumps out at the rear corner, any closer and it would be louder inside.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotaff
When I put my Magnaflow on, I thought it was a bit loud in the cabin too. I don't know if I just got used to it, but it got less noticeable as time went by. It's not really loud, but it is there, which I love now. Whatever exhaust you put on, if it makes noise outside, it's gonna make some noise inside. Mine dumps out at the rear corner, any closer and it would be louder inside.

Yeah I know its going to make some noise inside, it might just be i got used to the lack of noise that came from it... we will wait it out a week or so and see how it sounds. going on a 3 hr trip this weekend, that should set the new bar for me.

it dumps out the rear back corner as well for me.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 PM
DM_kota
Professional

So I talked to a few guys and I found 1 thing that might help....a Branch Resonator

OR:

I spoke to one other guy that suggested putting a thrush Glasspack($22) before the muffler to cancel out any droning that would be caused by the magnaflow( kinda like sine-waves canceling one another out) I would still have the sound and the free flow, just no Drone at 1750 RPM..

Is he on crack, or is this a good idea?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

I would break the magnaflow in before you change anything. you may like it after a bit. I've heard it takes up to a month. But a resonator before the muffler would help but I don't think it's because the waves cancel out, just because it's another item in the system.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:03 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by FrenicX
I would break the magnaflow in before you change anything. you may like it after a bit. I've heard it takes up to a month. But a resonator before the muffler would help but I don't think it's because the waves cancel out, just because it's another item in the system.
That what I thought too( about breaking it in) its just i tired my best to do my homework and not end up with something i didn't like.

SO I guess I am just nervous I am going to regret it.

I got a 3.5 hr drive this weekend, I will hope for the best!

Quick Reply: Too poor for a borla, getting a Magnaflow