3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Struts & Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Struts & Shocks

When I start my minor lift, I plan on putting in new shocks and would appreciate some advise on which shocks & struts I should work with. I was looking as some KYB units & noticed that there are at least a couple of different versions offered for the Dakota (same for Monroe & Rancho) - which model should I consider?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:26 PM
sdsdsd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anything but Dodge!!!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

^ That.

Rancho's are favored on here it seems, I understand they are firmer, but pricier, Monroe are trusted too. I guess some other brands have appeared for us in that market, but nobody trusts the newcomers

Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
^ That.

Rancho's are favored on here it seems, I understand they are firmer, but pricier, Monroe are trusted too. I guess some other brands have appeared for us in that market, but nobody trusts the newcomers
I've used Ranchos on my daughter's old jeep and on a GM pickup and the only issue I had with either installation was that both had an awful quality paint job - they were covered in surface rust and blistered paint areas within the first year. I use "old man emu" shocks on my old YJ and they're great in both performance and looks, so I was looking to find something that would fit the dakota and give me similar quality of looks and reliability.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by Alfons
I've used Ranchos on my daughter's old jeep and on a GM pickup and the only issue I had with either installation was that both had an awful quality paint job - they were covered in surface rust and blistered paint areas within the first year. I use "old man emu" shocks on my old YJ and they're great in both performance and looks, so I was looking to find something that would fit the dakota and give me similar quality of looks and reliability.
I'm still stock so not much use to you. Just shareing what I've learned on here.

Now that you mention it I recall someone here complaing of surface rust on their ranchos.

I think jkeaton has monroes, perhaps he can chime in about how they could work for you.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I have monroes. I like them. Not too stiff. I've read on here that monroe and rancho are made by the same company. Recently started hearing good things about kyb though. All depends on your preference. imo, a ride that simulates factory best is the monroes, I say this because when I put my struts in, I really did not notice that much difference over the stockers except I dont porpoise. ranchos dial up the firmnesss factor. Dont know where kyb falls in there.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 PM
gjmoran
Captain

+1 for ranchos, made a world of difference in handling for me

Old 12-05-2011, 10:17 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star

I have ranchos on the front and love them. Some people say they are really stiff but I don't think so. I think they are just right for a truck.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Rancho struts and shocks was worth every penny! I can only compare it from the 'bouncing Cadillac' of a ride before the upgrade. I would definitely recommend them.

Last edited by dakotaff; 12-06-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotaff
the 'bouncing Cadillac' of a ride
I know it's disgusting. I drive slow over speedbumps and bottom out on the dropdown. I hit the overpasses on the freeway and it bounces stupidly there too, and on occasion it will botton out. I've gotten used to corrective steering to make up for the loss of control I get from the bouncing.

Quick Reply: Struts & Shocks