3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

towing upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 AM
littleBIGdodge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing upgrades

So sometimes my 2006 4.7 V8 Dakota will tow a 3500 pound travel trailer. I believe if i remember correctly my dakota can tow up to 4500-5000 pounds stock. I have trailer brakes installed on my Dak and thats about it.

Since i live in AZ and sometimes when i tow the trailer i have to go up hill and the truck definitely has work hard to get the job done. I really want to install a tranny cooler to help keep the temps down on the tranny, and possibly a slightly different degree thermostat to help keep the engine cooler.

Do you guys think adding a CAI or JET or Superchips would help aid with towing and make it just a bit easier for the dakota? Or would these upgrades mostly just help with "quickness" of the motor? Lets face it though, its not a Power Wagon but if a few upgrades will help the dakota than im game.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Superchips has a tow mode, I haven't tried it yet. A CAI just helps in small amounts all the way around, it's big change is a punchier, more responsive throttle. A tranny cooler is a great idea, and there's a writeup here for installing a new 180 degree thermo:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...stall-diy.html

If you get a superchips, I just bought mine Sunday from Autoplicity.com. It arrived Tuesday from Illinois (im in Utah) so SUPER fast $10 shipping.
http://autoplicity.com/products/7910...aq_tuners.aspx

Old 12-08-2011, 03:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Biggest two towing upgrades you can make are the tranny cooler and re-gearing. Also, a larger capacity tranny pan doesn't hurt either.

A Ram with 3.92 gears has a 1000 lb. higher towing capacity than an identical one with 3.55 gears. Dodge does not post towing capacity for 4.10 or 4.56 gears since they don't offer that gearing from the factory, but according to the National Recreation Vehicle Association 4.56 gears increases towing capacity by another 1000 lbs. over a like truck with 3.92 gearing...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-08-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Biggest two towing upgrades you can make are the tranny cooler and re-gearing. Also, a larger capacity tranny pan doesn't hurt either.

A Ram with 3.92 gears has a 1000 lb. higher towing capacity than an identical one with 3.55 gears. Dodge does not post towing capacity for 4.10 or 4.56 gears since they don't offer that gearing from the factory, but according to the National Recreation Vehicle Association 4.56 gears increases towing capacity by another 1000 lbs. over a like truck with 3.92 gearing...
Ok Hammer, one question. My truck as you probably know has 4:56's installed front and back and Ram 2500 Leaf springs installed. Does this mean my truck can handle a 2500-3000 pound load in addition to factory spec? Sorry for the thread hijack, just came to mind

Old 12-08-2011, 10:24 AM
rapta619
Professional

just remember you can have alllll the upgrades in the world to make her tow more...but when push comes to SHOVE, stopping is what matters. and i put on ceramic pads and i cant say enough good about them. no dust, better braking then the 80$ napa's and did i mention no dust?

i have the tranny cooler stock on my truck, i dont think it really makes a difference because its not large enough really, but napa sells a nice one for like 70$ that might make a difference. be nice if i had a tranny temp guage...anyone know how to install one?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:26 PM
06whitedak
Rookie

Originally Posted by Backwoods18
Ok Hammer, one question. My truck as you probably know has 4:56's installed front and back and Ram 2500 Leaf springs installed. Does this mean my truck can handle a 2500-3000 pound load in addition to factory spec? Sorry for the thread hijack, just came to mind
sorry for hijacking aswell. but how do you like the 2500 leaf springs. and did they bolt right up or did you have to modify anything? tyia

Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

Originally Posted by rapta619
be nice if i had a tranny temp guage...anyone know how to install one?
I'm actually thinking about putting one in when I install my B&M tranny cooler. When you cut the line to install the cooler you can add one then. Just need to find a place to add one.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:34 AM
littleBIGdodge
Amateur

Originally Posted by 06whitedak
sorry for hijacking aswell. but how do you like the 2500 leaf springs. and did they bolt right up or did you have to modify anything? tyia
Thats okay! You guys are all giving me some good ideas on upgrades for my truck.

I think eventually im gunna try to slowly try to work in a CAI, trannycooler, and a different thermostat when my wallet is healthy enough. I also would love to use superchips on my truck too. I know a buddy of mine used a superships i believe on his chevy dmax, but do you think i could plug the scanner into my truck and program it or does the year/make/model matter? Oh also, i would definitely upgrade my brakes too to help with stopping power.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 AM
rapta619
Professional

Preatty sure then manufacturer different.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:16 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by littleBIGdodge
Thats okay! You guys are all giving me some good ideas on upgrades for my truck.

I think eventually im gunna try to slowly try to work in a CAI, trannycooler, and a different thermostat when my wallet is healthy enough. I also would love to use superchips on my truck too. I know a buddy of mine used a superships i believe on his chevy dmax, but do you think i could plug the scanner into my truck and program it or does the year/make/model matter? Oh also, i would definitely upgrade my brakes too to help with stopping power.
Thermostat is very cheap, you can change your fluid at the same time or keep it in a clean container to go back in if it's newer fluid, that will safe money too.

Only Superchips 3865 and Superchips Cortex 3950 work for this truck, if he doesn't have one of those then no. But if he does, only one vehicle can be programmed at a time. The device won't program another vehicle if you haven't first returned the previous vehicle to stock.

Quick Reply: towing upgrades