3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Wanted to say good bye

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had three Nissan vehicles, two cars and a frontier (but I think it was before they were called "frontiers"). One of the cars was my "company car" when I had my business, bought it with 180k miles on it and it had 320k on it when I sold it. Still ran like a top, but for some reason it wanted to eat water pumps. I know I put at least three in it, maybe four. Only other problem I had with it in all those miles was I had the timing belt go, but that was at around 290k miles.
The truck ran good but I used it to tow my bass boat when I first started tournament fishing. It pulled the 2600 lbs of boat, motor and trailer just fine, but it didn't stop well at all. A pre-dawn trip and about five deer in the road dictated I needed a full size truck with full size brakes - I didn't hit any, but it was a hairy experience.

The reason I mention the frame while towing is I have a friend who had an '07 Titan and while towing a marginal (5500 lb.) load (well under the truck's rated limit) he had the frame buckle on him. Two months old and he was able to get it Lemon Law'd, but he learned MANY had the issue starting with about the '04s. Reason he was told is they shaved the frame weight in '04 in an attempt at better fuel economy. I don't know if it's been remedied by Nissan on the new ones or not. Let's hope so...

Old 12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Cuban11182
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope so too. But based on the research that I've seen, people tow all the time with them. I don't think I'll ever tow to the rated 9300 lbs, but it's nice to know I can.

I wish my first experience with MOPAR was a better one. I have a father and an uncle that swear by them. They both have Jeeps and have had Rams, Dakota's, Challengers, Darts, Caravans, Shelby Charger, and a Duster. They gave me so much crap when I purchased my Cheby Colorado. I'd love the Rams, but don't want to deal with the same issues like with my Raider.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:54 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha ha, this sounds familiar. Good luck with your new Titan.

Originally Posted by jkeaton
you and blown could start a former dakota owner titan club.....
Love the Titan but I'm not involved in their forums.

Last edited by Blown287; 12-18-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Boo Radley
Professional

my last girlfriends dad had one that the frame failed on he was in some class action law case against them but i dont know what ever came out of it.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

Originally Posted by Blown287
Ha ha, this sounds familiar. Good luck with your new Titan.
Thank you SIR (sure you finished OCS by now)! I just made CPO on December 1st, so this was a bit of a gift to myself for that too.

I thought you would have been more involved with the Stillen Supercharger, although I hear some issues about the truck having some issues with it.

I didn't plan on modding it too much, but the wife saw a lifted Titan today, and said she liked it. I don't want to go any bigger than 33's, so I have to do my research on different lift kits available.

Already have a Hypertech Programmer on the way to remove the WOT restriction.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

full size=35'' tires :P
What about WOT restriction???? whtats that?

Old 12-19-2011, 02:33 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakkkota
full size=35'' tires :P
What about WOT restriction???? whtats that?
Nissan vehicles have a governor on the throttle that limits it to like 85% no matter how hard you put your foot down

Quick Reply: Wanted to say good bye