3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Engine/tranny Cooling - towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Sunsetrider
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine/tranny Cooling - towing

(Not for those thinking trannies are hot)

So anyhow . . . continuing my quest for Dakota knowledge, I've run across what to this point does seem a contradiction of sorts: As I mentioned in another section, I have my build sheet and to my delight I have all the bells and whistles I could have wished for, include the Trailer Tow Package and Heavy Duty Group. Giggle. However . . . we (meaning my various mechanical sources along with myself) have been unable to discover any auxiliary cooling unit associated with the rad. Hoping to find a tranny cooler, eh?

But then again, I find upon further research efforts, that the term "HD Engine Cooling) (which I have) includes "auxiliary in-tank automatic transmission cooler". Well woo hoo. So I am imagining that this means that I do in fact have the vaunted tranny cooler, but that it is cleverly tucked inside the "tank" (whatever and wherever that might be) and can now safely go out and find something weighing 6800 lbs to tow.

As an aside, I cannot find what I have to do to earn the right to display a giant pic in my sig.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunsetrider
(Not for those thinking trannies are hot)

So anyhow . . . continuing my quest for Dakota knowledge, I've run across what to this point does seem a contradiction of sorts: As I mentioned in another section, I have my build sheet and to my delight I have all the bells and whistles I could have wished for, include the Trailer Tow Package and Heavy Duty Group. Giggle. However . . . we (meaning my various mechanical sources along with myself) have been unable to discover any auxiliary cooling unit associated with the rad. Hoping to find a tranny cooler, eh?

But then again, I find upon further research efforts, that the term "HD Engine Cooling) (which I have) includes "auxiliary in-tank automatic transmission cooler". Well woo hoo. So I am imagining that this means that I do in fact have the vaunted tranny cooler, but that it is cleverly tucked inside the "tank" (whatever and wherever that might be) and can now safely go out and find something weighing 6800 lbs to tow.

As an aside, I cannot find what I have to do to earn the right to display a giant pic in my sig.
In tank I assume means in the radiator, all the aux. coolers are built inside the radiator. Giant sig pics are frowned upon. The size limit is specified when you go to the sig pic. The one I have is about the largest you should go.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Sunsetrider
Rookie

I can't get any sig pic . . . that is to say, yours is what I am referring to as "giant."

Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunsetrider
I can't get any sig pic . . . that is to say, yours is what I am referring to as "giant."
do you have a photobucket account? Go to User CP, Edit Signature, then copy/paste the IMG link from photobucket.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 AM
rapta619
Professional

So what's that line that runs infront of the radiator.. Sure looks like a Tranny line to me, which is aux cooled....

Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rapta619
So what's that line that runs infront of the radiator.. Sure looks like a Tranny line to me, which is aux cooled....
AC condenser maybe? All 3 'coolable' items are up there though, I'd have to take a look to know which are which.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 AM
rapta619
Professional

From the looks of it it looks like the transmission return line. Cuz when it comes down it hooks up into what looks to be a Tranny line. I'll try to take some pictures today. I wish vbulletin would get their heads out of their ***** and let us post via tapatalk. Soooooo much easier /endrant

Old 01-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Sunsetrider
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
do you have a photobucket account? Go to User CP, Edit Signature, then copy/paste the IMG link from photobucket.
Heh-heh . . . turns out there was another box I had to click to lock the pic in.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

Aux trans cooler is a joke! I took my Radiatior apart after it failed. What I found as a trans cooler, keep in mind I too have the tow package. Was a small condensed cooler maybe five rows. It is a joke. Go with an aftermarket external cooler!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 PM
djsilver
Professional

Interesting..., My truck doesn't have the tow package but it still has a tranny cooler in the radiator. At least I know it's got one line going from the transmission to the radiator and one coming back (?) I added an auxilliary trans cooler from the local parts store and tucked it into the front bumper. FWIW, I added it before the OEM cooler in the radiator. The cooler in the radiator is effectively controlled by the thermostat in the engine cooling system. By adding the aux cooler before the OEM unit, the transmission oil won't get overcooled when lightly loaded. When heavily stressed, the aux cooler will help relieve the load on the OEM cooler.

Last edited by djsilver; 01-11-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine/tranny Cooling - towing