3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear end noise.. I think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:44 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear end noise.. I think?

Ok, so some of you might know already but a couple months ago I had an Auburn Perfomance LSD installed, at the time they decided to do a full overhaul of the rear end since my bearings were scarred and I had a pinion seal leak. I just had a new set of wheels and tires put on a few days ago and installed a set of drop shackles about 3 weeks before that.

Today after an 8 mile trip back from school (half freeway, half surface street) I stopped to fuel up, upon approaching I made a sharp left (almost to lock) turn and heard a metal on metal grinding. I had just passed over a metal grate at the station and thought it might be that. After fueling I went to the empty parking lot next-door and drove around in some sharp low speed circles and I was able to re-create the sound, but it was much quieter. It almost sounds like what you would hear if a caliper was rubbing the inside of the wheel. But it only happens when there is light to medium throttle while in the turn. I think it comes from the rear, and it's almost resonant like I can hear it throughout the whole truck.

Since I just got new wheels and tires, I thought it might be a clearance issue so I inspected the front end and found no evidence of anything. I'm going to do a lot of front end stuff (pads/rotors, struts, endlinks) so when I do that I will inspect everything up there, but like I said I think it comes from behind.

My first thought is drums, but the resonance makes me think it's something more solid like in the rearend and resonating up the driveshaft.

Just wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

TYIA

Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 AM
Holbrook.Jeremy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a shop installed the posi I'd go back to them and have them check it out. If it were something in the front end it would make the noise straight or turning. Same would go for everything in the rear end besides the diff.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Did you try taking Beano and seeing if the noise disappears? lol jk man, I would take it back to the shop that installed the Auburn and have them look it over. Something like that is too risky to ignore IMO

Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the gear oil level in the rear to ensure its not low. Ask which gear oil they used, they might have used one that is too light. It's supposed to be 75w-140 in the rear. Also ask if they used limited slip additive (Chrysler pt# 04318060AB). I used this on my Auburn and OEM LSD.

Good luck brother.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Blown287
Check the gear oil level in the rear to ensure its not low. Ask which gear oil they used, they might have used one that is too light. It's supposed to be 75w-140 in the rear. Also ask if they used limited slip additive (Chrysler pt# 04318060AB). I used this on my Auburn and OEM LSD.

Good luck brother.
Thanks guys, yea I know they used a limtied slip additive because I supplied it, it was what came in the Auburn box. They used Redline synthetic but I don't know which weight. It surprises me, these guys really seemed like they knew what they were doing but I guess accidents do happen. A well reputed performance shop, I might have them do some of my build-up if I ever get started on a real one.

If they have to dismantle it, I might get some 4.10 gears put in. I should have done that already lol.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by FrenicX
Thanks guys, yea I know they used a limtied slip additive because I supplied it, it was what came in the Auburn box. They used Redline synthetic but I don't know which weight. It surprises me, these guys really seemed like they knew what they were doing but I guess accidents do happen. A well reputed performance shop, I might have them do some of my build-up if I ever get started on a real one.

If they have to dismantle it, I might get some 4.10 gears put in. I should have done that already lol.
Go 4:56's lol. Unless your avg speed is 70 you will love them

Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think 3.92s are perfect for street and highway driving. I really liked the 4.10s in town, a lot of fun.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:21 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

could be the stops in the front end need lubing. They will make noise when dry making hard turns ( locked)

Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had this noise...and it was rust debrit stuck in the drum groove for the back plate...check this first

Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sdsdsd
could be the stops in the front end need lubing. They will make noise when dry making hard turns ( locked)
I never leave it at lock, if I bump it I back off. I drove too many fords, developed the habit to preserve the gearbox.

Quick Reply: Rear end noise.. I think?