3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

jmr lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sadly thats just how people are. theyll complain and wish and dream all day. but when its actually in front of them ready they have a doggie bag full of excuses. the main one being. "i want to wait until someone else buys it"

people are so brianwashed by brand names that when something else comes out, it scares them. to be honest...its already been proven in the off road racing scene that brand names dont stand a chance compared to small shop made.

you cant really compare an off the shelf lift for any other vehicle with a smaller price tag because thats just it. EVERY company has a lift for said vehicle. no wonder its cheap. competition. Now being that there is no competition for a lift on the dakotas. if you wanna be the boss with the only lifted dakota than you need to drop the green. cant shop at gucci, wearing levis.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehehe!so true :P

Originally Posted by projektdirtfab
sadly thats just how people are. theyll complain and wish and dream all day. but when its actually in front of them ready they have a doggie bag full of excuses. the main one being. "i want to wait until someone else buys it"

people are so brianwashed by brand names that when something else comes out, it scares them. to be honest...its already been proven in the off road racing scene that brand names dont stand a chance compared to small shop made.

you cant really compare an off the shelf lift for any other vehicle with a smaller price tag because thats just it. EVERY company has a lift for said vehicle. no wonder its cheap. competition. Now being that there is no competition for a lift on the dakotas. if you wanna be the boss with the only lifted dakota than you need to drop the green. cant shop at gucci, wearing levis.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

people are so brianwashed by brand names that when something else comes out, it scares them.

We have been building electric vehicles for 21 years (day job) and in the beginning people would say "if you could get 50 miles range everyone would buy one and you would be a millionaire.
When we could get 50 miles range people would say " when you can get 100 miles range everyone will buy them and you will be a millionaire"
Now we get 100 miles range and no one buys because we are a small company. Nissan comes out with an electric car that gets 100 miles range and they have a waiting list.
Its all about big brand names.
That's why we don't have local butchers, local bakeries local anything. Its all big box stores and big brand names.
I'm sure if one of the big lift companies would start to sell a Dakota lift kit tomorrow they would have no problem selling them, just because of the brand name.
I agree, bigger is not always better, the little guy has more to loose and usually puts more into the product.
I have been reading this thread for months. People complaining its not ready, where's the lift, I want to buy one where is it.
Well folks, its time to put up.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:48 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by EVguy
Well folks, its time to put up.
..or shut up.

I know you were bein nice, but ya gotta say the whole quote!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 AM
nicholas9393
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well depending on how much is left in the bank when i get back to the states i think ill go ahead and take the leap of faith. do they offer new front shocks with it yet?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

Here the thing. A big company that just launches a product can handle having a few lifts go cheap or even testing purposes to magazines etc. when your a small company or even a 1 man show who put alot of money already into the lift, your just not going to be able to let them go for free. Simple as that. Especially when he's already dumped serious money into the product. It's time for the people who wanted this so long ago to make the plunge. Your always going to get dreamers.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Holbrook.Jeremy
Professional

While I do agree that smaller shops usually put more into their product it's also a lot of money to invest in a product that's not proven. I know very little about suspension dynamics but I could go and fab up a kit, slap on my truck and try to sell it. If the guy can't afford to give out the kit I understand that but go buy a $300 condor camera, attach it to the front of the truck pointed at the suspension and drive around. Hit some speed bumps, pot holes, drive over some curbs (Low speed) don't beat the truck to a paper weight but as mentioned show video of the kit being used during some rough conditions.

I've seen a lot of pictures of a lot of crazy things people have cooked up on vehicles. Crazy lifts, gas tanks, lights, rims, mods, just crazy crazy stuff. While I'm not saying this lift is garbage it's going to be difficult to get people to make perm mod's to their vehicles with an unknown small time lift kit. If the kit does take off, he keeps up with orders, it would definitely be lucrative.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Desert_Rat
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Holbrook.Jeremy
While I do agree that smaller shops usually put more into their product it's also a lot of money to invest in a product that's not proven. I know very little about suspension dynamics but I could go and fab up a kit, slap on my truck and try to sell it. If the guy can't afford to give out the kit I understand that but go buy a $300 condor camera, attach it to the front of the truck pointed at the suspension and drive around. Hit some speed bumps, pot holes, drive over some curbs (Low speed) don't beat the truck to a paper weight but as mentioned show video of the kit being used during some rough conditions.

I've seen a lot of pictures of a lot of crazy things people have cooked up on vehicles. Crazy lifts, gas tanks, lights, rims, mods, just crazy crazy stuff. While I'm not saying this lift is garbage it's going to be difficult to get people to make perm mod's to their vehicles with an unknown small time lift kit. If the kit does take off, he keeps up with orders, it would definitely be lucrative.
Originally Posted by Holbrook.Jeremy

Look, I don't mean to just pick on you, but this attitude of its not "proven" is what's causing people to not buy these. The kit, no kit for that matter, is ever "proven." I know a LOT about physics/science and such, and scientifically, a kit cannot be "proven." The kit works. Our company guarantees that it will work. If it doesn't fit, if half way through the install something isn't right, then return it. This isn't a magic show. There's nothing to hide. We saw that you guys wanted some more "extreme" (though in our minds, boring) footage of driving fast over bumps because you thought it would break. So we did just that. The other videos that we posted DO show us going over really rough road at a fast rate, but these things are harder than you all think to depict in a video. Two weeks ago, just before launching the site, we tried to record the truck driving fast over bumps. We drove it so fast and hard over bumps that the truck got some air (yes, we've done minor jumps with the truck several times before). It was awesome until after about the 4th run when we were just getting the camera positioned right, the battery crashed through the engine compartment and was hanging by the wires, dragging on the tire. Was it the few bumps we went over that caused the weight of the battery to break the battery cradle? Probably not. We/I drive the truck just as hard or harder than any of you guys. Hitting curbs dead on at 20 to 30 mph with 1 tire while pulling up to a friend's house...almost every day, punching the gas for EVERY speed hump and bump and hitting them at 20-50 mph...ALWAYS, taking corners fast enough to break the rear wheels free...every time I turn right. The truck has seen hell, on and off road. I GUARANTEE if I went off roading with most people, they wouldn't keep up. Why? because they worry about blowing out a tire, scratching or denting their vehicle. We beat this truck up so bad that in person, it doesn't look like a 2005 SLT that originally cost high 20k, low 30k dollars. My point is, the suspension kit has done its job in "proving" itself as much as it ever could, at least to us. We know you guys want to "see it to believe it," but you have seen it. It's real. It works. And like I've said from the beginning...Dodge's parts will fail before our kit fails. You will break a CV, crack your batter cradle, crack your rear axle, cut a hole in the gas tank, all before the suspension kit breaks. Don't read this as me saying "if you install our kit, your gas tank will get a hole in it, your battery cradle will crack, and you will break a CV," because that's NOT what I'm saying. I'm saying that if you drive the truck as hard as possible, our suspension kit parts will not be the FIRST to break, or even the second or third. Where would it fail? Will the knuckles bend? Will the cross members snap down the middle? Think a little about the physics, where force is applied and distributed...the kit doesn't need to be made of 1/4 inch plate. Rough country makes a lot of their pieces out of 3/16 inch plate to save money and its STILL strong enough. The liability waiver? Yes, we are a small company and don't carry 100 million dollar insurance policies for every line of kits we produce. We don't do 2 million in sales every MONTH like Rough Country. However, the release of liability is their to cover ourselves against stupid people like the lady that got mad that her coffee was hot.

As far as giving out a few kits? Of course we'd love to do that. We also understand that everyone wants a free or nearly free kit. The truth is, we don't have the money for that. R&D is expensive...anyone want to buy a set of used/abused Fabtech Dirt Logic coilovers that are slightly too long for the Dakota with our lift? I didn't think so. We did lower the price. AND we switched to free shipping. To ship a 250 lb kit from AZ to New York costs $250-$300. That's how much cost in shipping WE'RE eating. So unfortunately, no, we can't give out free kits or kits for $500. If you're SERIOUS about getting a kit, then send me a private message or check the site. We're going to offer an unbeatable deal to the next buyer.

As far as inconsistencies go, we apologize. You DO get stainless steel brake lines for the front with every kit. They're listed separately also for people who might be interested in them but not in the kit. The instructions say that we didn't include instructions on how to install them because for this, you need to know about bleeding the lines and such (another liability on our part if we were to include instructions).

As for support, we're here, ready to give it to every customer who buys a kit. Even if you've never installed a kit but want to try it, we'll talk you through it, step by step, via text, email, the phone...whatever fits your needs. We've taken apart and reassembled the suspension so many times we can tell you the number of bolts, nuts, washers, and sizes of wrenches you need without looking them up.

As for the 3-4 week build time, that's due not to us, but to our fabricators. All the fabricators in the valley that can do the bends we need and have CNCs large enough for what we need have 2-3 week lead times. So if we get 50 orders in a day, it won't back us up for a year. All we do is put in the order to the fabricator (who will most likely start production FASTER with an order that large). If the fabricator can't finish that many in a reasonable time, then we'll simply take the remaining business to another fabricator, keeping the total time to UNDER 3-4 weeks.

I hope that I've addressed all your concerns. I know that it doesn't mean as much coming from myself as it would if another member on here posted it, but its worth a shot.

If you're TRULY interested in purchasing a kit (you have the money and actually want an IFS lift for your truck), then get in contact with us. Ask questions until you run out of things to ask, and then buy a kit. We'll MAKE SURE that you're happy, MAKE SURE that the kit fits on your truck, and that it works well. A few people have called and e-mailed, but I don't think it was anyone from this forum.

Again, I hope this helps and thank you for the input. Check the site frequently for deals and updates.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

PM sent

Old 01-13-2012, 05:22 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Be a hero Backwoods!

Last January, when I saw my truck at the dealership I thought "damn it's 2wd" and I also thought "oh well, I've driven 2wd my whole life" so I got it. If I had waited for a 4wd, I would be one of the first on the bandwagon for this kit.

I'm not interested in lifting a 2wd, but if this was a 4wd, FWIW, i would have held off any other mods for this kit. I'd be dropping the dough right now.

C'mon guys, have some faith.

Quick Reply: jmr lift