3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

overloaded on leveling kit info. help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 PM
skybox
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overloaded on leveling kit info. help me decide

hey guys i have a 2005 4x4 with about 75,000 on the stock struts (i think), anyway i'd like to upgrade them to monroe or rancho but i figure if i'm going to do that i might as well lift her a bit to accomodate bigger tires that i'll be in need of next fall. I'd like to improve the ground clearance and ride if at all possible. i don't want a monster truck with a 6 inch lift or anything that extreme.

The problem is i just can't make a decision on what i need to get. i've seen alot of leveling kits on ebay to choose from but it seems that most of those are 2.5 inches or larger and i've read on here that i shouldn't go larger than 2 inches. Also read somewhere that trailmaster makes a 1.5 inch. maybe that would be better. anyway i want to raise the front end to accomodate larger tire sizes but i don't want to have a truck with to rough of a ride. I like a nice smooth ride and i think my dakota is much nicer when compared to my toyota pickup i sold before buying the dakota, but i'm thinking i should be able to improve this as well with higher quality struts than oem. I've read on here that some people think monroes are smoother riding struts.

i guess i need some advice on where i should buy and what i should buy given what i'm trying to accomplish.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 AM
dsimm87
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought these http://tinyurl.com/6r48vpf theyre 2.5" and I don't really see any angles on the suspension that are too extreme. I also put in Rancho struts and love the way it rides now. Anyway, with 2.5" (and some 2") the front will be higher than the rear. I just added 1.5" blocks. I'm pretty sure I raised it up enough to get 32" tires but I might have to do some trimming to the front mudguards. In my opinion, if you go with anything lower than 2" you're not really gaining enough space to accommodate for bigger tires.

Also, its recommended that if you have a 4x4 to not exceed 2". But someone on here has a 2.5" on their 4x4.

I would recommend the ebay "off brand". Daystar and the other name brand, you're paying extra for the name.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 AM
skybox
Amateur
Default who has 2.5 inches in 4x4

[quote=dsimm87;2726866]
I recently bought these http://tinyurl.com/6r48vpf theyre 2.5" and I don't really see any angles on the suspension that are too extreme.
Do you have a 4X4 or 2WD.

I also put in Rancho struts and love the way it rides now.
How many miles did you have on the OEM struts before the change? Can you feel bumps and cracks in the road or does it glide over them as if they weren't there?

Anyway, with 2.5" (and some 2") the front will be higher than the rear. I just added 1.5" blocks. I'm pretty sure I raised it up enough to get 32" tires but I might have to do some trimming to the front mudguards. In my opinion, if you go with anything lower than 2" you're not really gaining enough space to accommodate for bigger tires.
Do you have bigger tires yet or still running stock sizes?

Also, its recommended that if you have a 4x4 to not exceed 2". But someone on here has a 2.5" on their 4x4.
I think i remember seeing that somewhere but don't remember who that was. If anyone can tell me who that is i'd appreciate it.

thanks for the help.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 AM
carlb87
Professional

Originally Posted by skybox

I think i remember seeing that somewhere but don't remember who that was. If anyone can tell me who that is i'd appreciate it.

thanks for the help.
I think it was dakkkota

Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Running a Trail master 1.5" leveling kit paired with Rancho's all around, and stock rear height. That'll fit 31.5" tires with a small amount of trimming (plastic only). Extremely happy with the ride, even with the 20's on, but it's a little smoother with my winter 17's on. Don't go bigger than a 2" spacer though, it's not worth it IMO.

With this lame winter, my 20's are going back on soon though.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by carlb87
I think it was dakkkota
PRESENT!!!!

3 full years no issues 2.5''rough country ful leveling kit 199$front and rear

285 75 16

33x11.5x16

except when i hit a bump the upper hit the coil sometimes. I can live with that.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
dsimm87
Professional

I have a 2wd. I had put 45k on the stock struts before replacing. I've put about 600 miles on my ranchos (~month of driving). They are much firmer. I can feel small dips in the road but I don't mind at all. I'd rather have a stiff suspension like that anyway, I dont bottom out anymore going over speedbumps.

I'm still running on the stock tires. I said "I might" have to do trimming to get 275/65/18 (32") but I actually am fully expecting to. I don't mind tho since the trimming won't be difficult.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I have the 2" kit, 1.5" rear helper springs, monroe shocks and struts and 265/70-17 tires (31.5"). Minor rubbing on the splash guards going around turns. Replaced my struts at around 65k.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 PM
CMackATHLETE

my front leveling kit cost me about 85 bucks for a 2". Install was rough, took me and 3 friends about 3 hours to install. You'll def. need an impact wrench, some penetration lubricant, and we used crowbars to compress my strut, worked fine. my kit is polyurethane, which supposedly only has a life of 4-6 years (according to an overpriced mechanic in town, who im sure was just trying to convince me to pay him 400 for parts and labor) but i don't do much off roading so im sure mine will be fine. my kit is from superior suspension, fit my 4x2 2007 dakota perfect. hope this helps

Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 AM
skybox
Amateur

Originally Posted by CMackATHLETE
my kit is polyurethane, which supposedly only has a life of 4-6 years (according to an overpriced mechanic in town, who im sure was just trying to convince me to pay him 400 for parts and labor)
I've seen polyurethane kits on ebay but i'm not sure as to what the advantage of them would be. I could only think that it might be a little softer.

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I have the 2" kit, 1.5" rear helper springs, monroe shocks and struts and 265/70-17 tires (31.5"). Minor rubbing on the splash guards going around turns. Replaced my struts at around 65k.
How would you compare the difference in the ride between the stock and monroe struts. Is one smoother riding than the other or no difference.
I should add that i probably wont get new wheels. I'm just thinking of putting taller rubber on the truck but of course i'd like it to fit without trimming any plastic out. I don't know maybe i should look into a new set of wheels too but it seems likely to get very expensive and i'm just not all that into fancy looking rims yet.

Originally Posted by Dakkkota
PRESENT!!!!

3 full years no issues 2.5''rough country ful leveling kit 199$front and rear

285 75 16

33x11.5x16

except when i hit a bump the upper hit the coil sometimes. I can live with that.
Its interesting most guys on here say that you shouldn't go more than 2 inches on the leveling kit up front with 4WD. do you use 4WD or go off road very often dakkkota.

Quick Reply: overloaded on leveling kit info. help me decide