3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Looking for a new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012 | 03:57 PM
CanadaDak
|
Rookie
Default Looking for a new exhaust

07 dakota, club cab i think haha.. got a K&N CAI and need an exaughst asap... dont have alot of time to browse the net to find what im looking for, aswell as im not sure if i want flowmaster or magnaflow, looking for the perfect sound and i can only find a video on you tube of the flow master 40, on a 3.7 aswell i got the 4.7 Magnum... anybody willing to help my lazy *** out and shoot me the options that i have that will work for my truck, any recomendations from members that already have exaughsts installed? videos or sound clips? very much appreciated

Old 03-09-2012 | 07:44 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Here is a thread with some video clips.

Dakota Exhaust thread

Old 03-09-2012 | 08:12 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker

I have the Magnaflow single in, dual out system. I would never buy anything else.

Old 03-10-2012 | 01:04 AM
italiandominator
All Star

IMO, I think Borla sounds the best overall, if you want loud and borderline obnoxious go with Flowmaster, if you just like it loud and mean but not annoying when you are driving for awhile on the highway and want to be able to hear people on the phone go with Magnaflow, love mine.

Old 03-10-2012 | 09:52 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Get a longer muffler if you have a choice it helps to kill some drone as well...

Unless you get bola there should be no drone with that!!

Old 03-10-2012 | 09:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Second the magnaflow. Love mine. Had a fm 40 series before. Hated it. Obnoxious and raspy.

Old 03-10-2012 | 10:17 PM
slicktrick
Professional

ive got the flowmaster force II single side exit set up, which uses their somewhat quieter 50 series muffler, iirc.
it was meant to be installed behind the first resonator,but i removed that & put a section of pipe in its place. my mistake...

it wasnt bad unless i was towing,but if i was, at a certain rpm the drone would drive you nuts.
i ended up welding couplers on the front resonator & putting it back on ahead of the kit.

if you ever look inside one of the factory resonators, its a straight shot through it, so back pressure shouldnt be a real issue.
still has a mean sound,but without being obnoxious now .

if i had it to do over, id probably go mbrp or magnaflow.

Last edited by slicktrick; 03-10-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2012 | 10:46 PM
CanadaDak
|
Rookie

ok, holy friggin overwhelming so many options i feel like my brain is about to pop... def not flowmaster its all highway to work dont feel like wasting money on something that will anoy me all though i like loud :P ...i absolutly love the borla sound, but im so lost when it comes to what to buy.. can u get the borla in a full kit? if one of you had my truck, 07 ST 4.7 mag and wanted the borla, money not an option.. what do i have to buy to to just replace my entire system from the Y back... and haha can someone elaborate on what the Y is anyways.. sorry for the hassle im only 20 and this is my first new vehicle and my first time tryin to do any mods.. i really appreciate the help btw

Old 03-11-2012 | 10:09 AM
dakotaff
Champion

You probably want a Cat-Back system, that replaces everything from the Y back. Not sure if these links are the best price, and make sure you order for either the crew cab or extended cab.
I simply removed the resonators and replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow, and put on a nice Magnaflow tip and it sounds awesome.

Borla Cat-Back 07 Dak 4.7

Magnaflow Bat-Back 07 Dak 4.7 (16621) single out

Magnaflow Bat-Back 07 Dak 4.7 (16622) dual out

Old 03-11-2012 | 03:54 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star

If money isn't a problem I would buy a dual in dual out borla muffler, 2 nice tips and have a shop make me a system with a X pipe

Quick Reply: Looking for a new exhaust