3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Couldn't crack 20 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIFF-RAFF
Its a custom fabbed tank that sits in the bed. I was going to have a round tank made to fit where the spare is but I felt it important to have the spare on long trips. The tank has its own fuel gauge and feeds the main tank by a 160 GPH fuel pump via a "dead man" switch.I've got it set up so I can pull the entire system out of my truck in about 10 minutes when not in use. Its also emissions compliant.
Neat but why do you need it? Do you drive long stretches with no fuel available?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:29 AM
RIFF-RAFF
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaAgain?
Neat but why do you need it? Do you drive long stretches with no fuel available?
I live in Ontario and have a vacation home in Sarasota Florida (1400 mi). I drive down 3 or more times a year and I like driving straight through the night while everyone is sleeping without having to stop for fuel and wake up the wife/kids/dog. Also, when you only have a 360 mile range,you don't always have much choice where to stop in the middle of the night for fuel ( I have had to stop in some nasty places...thank God we have a protective PitBull). The big added tank allows us to travel without having to stop 5 times for fuel and instead allows us to have to stop only once. Instead of having to use the disgusting restrooms at fuel stops, we can instead choose when to stop at the clean rest stops.

Quick Reply: Couldn't crack 20 MPG