3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Just Took the Leap

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 PM
RedTorpedo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Took the Leap

Hey Guys, just joined the club. Bought an 06 Dakota Laramie with the V8. Has just under 64k miles.

Just wanted to introduce myself and see if there is anything I need to concern myself with as far as maintenance and prevention goes on the truck. I take pretty good care of my vehicles now, but if there is anything extra I need to be doing I'd like to know ahead of time.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:56 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome! You shouldn't regret it!

The only things you should worry about, with those miles, are the front-end components. You'll want to see if you can tell what's been replaced up front.

It's all fairly weak up there, most trucks have had, or need the sway-bar end-links replaced. The struts, if they are original, are on their way out no doubt.

On my truck, both swaybar links were bad when I just did front end work. (65,000 miles) My tie-rods were ok, so were my upper joints, but 1 wheel hub bearing was bad, both lower balljoints, and both struts.

There aren't really any other problems that are trendy on these trucks other than the front parts. Motors run good, transmission will last forever..

pooie aftermarket support though, but oh well.

Last edited by FrenicX; 04-02-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Welcome to the forum man, Preston nailed it..the front suspension is the weak point on these Dakotas but it is a truck. I bet if you bought an '06 Chevy 1500 with 64k on it the suspension would be in just as bad of shape! Anyways, start browsing around and you will find out plenty of stuff to do for performance, maintenance and fun..

Old 04-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of guys use Moog for parts, As they are Grease-able unlike OEM parts.
I have 2 Moog Lower Ball-Joints and 1 Tie-Rod.

I have had to replace Both Lower Ball-Joints, 1 Tie-Rod, 1 Wheel Bearing, All my Drive-Shaft Joints, My Entire Front Brakes (Pads, Rotors and Calipers) And remove a Bad Resonator (Put in a straight pipe). My Intermediate Steering Shaft is also on the way out. It has not go any worse since I started to grease the joint every now-and then. (This also went on the 2000 I had, does dodge not learn?)

My struts are ok for now, But I plan to replace them and my Rear shocks. I also have a new Lower Rad. Support to go in (We use TONS of salt here so its Rusted to pieces)
Mines a 05 ST With around 108k km, or 67k miles

Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Around here, you need to post pics of your truck! But these guys are correct, the front end is the weakest part on the Dakotas. No need to throw parts at it, but just be ready to replace any parts with aftermarket (not OEM) parts, which will last longer and are better quality.

Glad to have you here and welcome aboard.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 AM
RedTorpedo

Thanks for the info guys. I can already tell a ball-joint is bad, so I'll have to get into that. They use salt here like crazy during the winter too so I know rust will also be a fun experience.

I do love the truck already though, it's fun to drive and I've gotten quite a bit of compliments. Last truck I drove was a 87 Dodge Power Ram 50 back in high school (I'm 27 now), so I'm enjoying be back in a Dodge.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 AM
RedTorpedo

Originally Posted by dakotaff
Around here, you need to post pics of your truck! But these guys are correct, the front end is the weakest part on the Dakotas. No need to throw parts at it, but just be ready to replace any parts with aftermarket (not OEM) parts, which will last longer and are better quality.

Glad to have you here and welcome aboard.
Yea, I need to take some more. All I have right now are the crappy pics the dealer posted online. But I'll get some more up soon for all to see.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedTorpedo
Thanks for the info guys. I can already tell a ball-joint is bad, so I'll have to get into that. They use salt here like crazy during the winter too so I know rust will also be a fun experience.

I do love the truck already though, it's fun to drive and I've gotten quite a bit of compliments. Last truck I drove was a 87 Dodge Power Ram 50 back in high school (I'm 27 now), so I'm enjoying be back in a Dodge.

Then check your Lower Rad. Support, Its like a Pan, so it holds Salt/Snow/Slush and water. Mine the pan part rusted right off the Support Bars, And is resting on the plastic under it. I plan to COAT it in bedliner so it cant rust again, or atleast not for long lol

Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Welcome to the forum! You will get lots of good advice here, and we will be glad to help you empty your wallet into your truck....lol...welcome aboard!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 PM
RedTorpedo

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Welcome to the forum! You will get lots of good advice here, and we will be glad to help you empty your wallet into your truck....lol...welcome aboard!
Hey thanks.

I don't know that I'll need help with that, the wife keeps my wallet pretty empty now. lol

Quick Reply: Just Took the Leap