3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Painting factory rims. What did you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012 | 02:05 PM
clayh
|
Professional
Default Painting factory rims. What did you use?

I hate chrome. I love the black on black look. I've seen some pics on here of guys that have blacked out their rims. Nor looking for a solid black but sort of a silvery black. Does that make sense?

Going to be taking off the winter rims soon and putting the factory 18s back on so was thinking of painting them before then.

Old 04-16-2012 | 03:53 PM
clayh
|
Professional

Also what did you do for prep work?

Old 04-16-2012 | 09:22 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

i dont know it anyone has painted chrome rims, only the aluminum ones....but, the chrome wheels are only a chrome plastic cover so you could probably just rough them up with some wet sandpaper, use self etching primer and the use that bed spray stuff.

Old 04-16-2012 | 09:34 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

They're just a plastic cover? I didn't know that, that's a bummer. They look so good too...

Old 04-16-2012 | 10:02 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Most "chrome" rims anymore on almost any truck are just plastic chrome covers, I hate to say. I have a friend who bought a 2010 Ram, fully loaded. Yup, plastic chrome wheels.

Old 04-17-2012 | 03:53 PM
TheBLC84

im not sure about the prep i will ask my friend later about it but he has painted a lot of rims himself with duplicolor high performance wheel spray can paint. you can get it at most auto parts stores. They do have a self etching prespray to help the paint tac on. i can get a picture of my friends challenger that he painted the rims on. i am getting ready to do mine this weekend. i will also post pics of it.

Old 04-17-2012 | 07:08 PM
keithhud
Professional
Default Spray Painted Rims

I Spray painted my aluminum rims black with an outdoor flat black spray paint that I picked up at Ace Hardware. I did some research on the interwebs and found several sites that gave step by step istructions. Here's one of them http://offroad-review.com/new/index.php?page=238.

I recommend removing the wheels before doing the prep work and then spray painting the wheels.

My paint job still looks good and is going on over a year now.

Old 04-17-2012 | 07:19 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Painting the chrome clad wheels is not a good idea, they won't turn out good.
The only way to 'paint' those wheels, is with plasti-dip.

Old 04-17-2012 | 07:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by FrenicX
They're just a plastic cover? I didn't know that, that's a bummer. They look so good too...
I know, I was like wtf, got that cheap feeling like I did when I put chrome walmart hubcaps on my cordoba.....

Originally Posted by dakotaff
The only way to 'paint' those wheels, is with plasti-dip.
Thats what I was thinking when I said bed spray stuff, just could not remember the name...

Old 04-17-2012 | 10:57 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

I used that paint BLC, and I like it..mine have been painted for a year almost and have held up good. Some minor cracks in the paint but that is just my mistakes..I think o am going to wetsand and plastidip them when I put on new winter tires this fall though

Quick Reply: Painting factory rims. What did you use?