3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear bumper from Rockauto

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012 | 04:19 PM
motodeficient
|
Professional
Default Rear bumper from Rockauto

Has anyone ordered a rear bumper from rockauto? These are the choices but its kind of hard to tell what you are actually getting.... I need just a regular black rear bumper. Mine is starting to rust. I guess primer would be ok and I could spray it with bedliner or something?

Old 04-23-2012 | 04:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I'd get the cheapest. You re-use the step part of your original bumper. You can use bedliner, the miracle plasti-dip stuff or just paint it gloss black.

Old 04-23-2012 | 09:30 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Just clean it up and repaint it.
I cleaned the rust off mine best I could, applied Rust Inhibiting paint, Self-Etching Primer then Bedliner.
Well your at it clean up under your truck with it off, I put on some rubberized under coating on the Hitch and such
I found the cheaper stuff worked better, Altho the primer isnt to cheap lol

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...p-plastic.html

Last edited by Reject; 04-23-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2012 | 07:44 AM
motodeficient
|
Professional

Its got a big dent in it anyway which is rusting on the outside, in addition to rusting on the backside. I want to replace. Hopefully if I spray PB oil on it for a week or so before hand, I will be able to get the bumper hardware out...

Old 04-24-2012 | 05:50 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

If you can get the hardware and brackets off, Get the cheap one. But it doesnt sound like it comes with the brackets that are inside the bumper. I assume they are the Brackets, Since it bolts directly to the support bar, or Factory Hitch.
If you look at my pics you can see the one im talking about, held in with 3 bolts each.
I coated the 4 that hold it to the Hitch/Support Bar in PB Blaster and was able to get them off the same day with a breaker bar, There is no bolt to hold, the 2 on each side are welded to a plate together so the dont spin.

Old 04-24-2012 | 08:17 PM
Dragon05
Veteran

moto, where you at? I have my rear bumper and brackets in the garage. I'll let it go for $100. You pick it up.

Old 04-25-2012 | 12:42 AM
rengnath
Champion

If you're near WI, I've got a like new chrome bumper in the basement .....

Old 04-25-2012 | 10:46 AM
motodeficient
|
Professional

I am in Maine. Would either of you guys be willing to ship????

Old 04-25-2012 | 11:06 AM
rengnath
Champion

Probably looking at $75-$100 for shipping, but if youre willing to pay for shipping I could get it boxed up and to FedEx. The bumper shell has just been sitting in the basement. I was rear ended in November of 09, the bumper was replaced with a genuine Mopar bumper, and I replaced the bumper with the roll pan a year later.

Old 04-25-2012 | 12:39 PM
keithhud
Professional

Originally Posted by rengnath
Probably looking at $75-$100 for shipping, but if youre willing to pay for shipping I could get it boxed up and to FedEx. The bumper shell has just been sitting in the basement. I was rear ended in November of 09, the bumper was replaced with a genuine Mopar bumper, and I replaced the bumper with the roll pan a year later.
I know this might sound silly, but see what it would cost to ship it through Greyhound. Years ago when I worked for a Tile Store whenever we needed something shipped that we couldn't get until our next big trucking shippment such as a store to store transfer we used Greyhound.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper from Rockauto