3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Pcv?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Pcv?

Looking for opinions... I have mine and I am curious as to yours.

So I just noticed the last 2 cold starts I have had a puff of blue smoke. Nothing major, just a quick puff and its gone. It doesn't smoke any other time, and it hasn't been eating oil. I just did an oil change 3-4 days ago and before I noticed the smoke, I cleaned the KN (just 2 days ago). Truck has 42k. Do you guys think this maybe my PCV is gumming/has gummed up? Its the only thing I can think of besides leaking valve seats (unlikely, I feel at my mileage) or a leaking injector (also unlikely beings the truck idles fine etc.). I may be overreacting, and it is not anything or ust a fluke...

I am going to watch this 3rd cold start up to see what it does.

PS the Weather has been weird as hell here.... 80 one minute, then in the 30s and 40s the next.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you notice any smoke while driving, or only when it starts? The PCV valve going bad should only have you seeing blue smoke once the pressure raises in the crank case. But with bad valve seals the oil will slowly drip into the cylinders when it's parked and cause the smoke on startup.. It is unlikely at your mileage though(around 36k or so?)

But, knowing that our PCV valve is in the worst location ever (right in a natural gumming area), I would just replace that right off the bat and see what happens, cheap part, easy to get to.

edit, what oil do you use, weight and brand. did you ever use any additives?

Last edited by FrenicX; 04-30-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

Originally Posted by FrenicX
Do you notice any smoke while driving, or only when it starts? The PCV valve going bad should only have you seeing blue smoke once the pressure raises in the crank case. But with bad valve seals the oil will slowly drip into the cylinders when it's parked and cause the smoke on startup.. It is unlikely at your mileage though(around 36k or so?)

But, knowing that our PCV valve is in the worst location ever (right in a natural gumming area), I would just replace that right off the bat and see what happens, cheap part, easy to get to.

edit, what oil do you use, weight and brand. did you ever use any additives?
You are right on most of that, but what I am thinking is its gummed up, causing it to partially stick which in turn is causing the pressure at startup to push a small bit of oil into the intake... thus getting the light puff until the pressure is enough to totally close it at idle... then at normal engine rpms it operates okay. I have found some similiar threads on the interwebs and DF that relate to this and they all blamed the PCV, after either changing it out or it cleared it self up.

I have used Pennzoil - Dino Oil since day one, and its 5W-20, no additives. I am pretty sure its not the valves... my old Dakota had that issue.

I think right now I am just going to watch it. I am thinking its because I cleaned my super dirty filter and the pcv is slightly gunked up too, thus a change in the pressures. If it doesnt change the PCV will be changed and if nothing changes the puff... it'll be warranty time! I was just curious on everyones thoughts. I am not too worried, hell like I said early it maybe just a fluke.

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 04-30-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

that's a sound plan and I endorse it. I wouldn't want to bs with the dealer over a 'free' or $7 fix either.

You know, if the PCV is gummed up, and with your crazy weather, the pressures in there could be a smidgen out of wack too, i dunno how sensitive it is.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM
roadrnr70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you change the valve on your 2007, whatever you do, don't yank on the hard plastic hose that leads to the manifold. There is a 90 degree elbow into the manifold and if it becomes disconnected you're in for hours of grief. I tore the hell out of my hands trying to find the elbow that fell off and then reconnecting it and the hose. Unless you have women's hands there is no way you can get in behind there and even then you are doing it blind. This is on the 4.7L engine where the valve is at the back of the L/S head.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

Just an update, the truck has cleared itself. I am guessing cleaning the filter and the oil change was the culprit. How I am unsure, but the past 5-6 starts have netted no smoke. There was also a good 2 day wait between 2 of the starts. All is good!

Originally Posted by roadrnr70
When you change the valve on your 2007, whatever you do, don't yank on the hard plastic hose that leads to the manifold. There is a 90 degree elbow into the manifold and if it becomes disconnected you're in for hours of grief. I tore the hell out of my hands trying to find the elbow that fell off and then reconnecting it and the hose. Unless you have women's hands there is no way you can get in behind there and even then you are doing it blind. This is on the 4.7L engine where the valve is at the back of the L/S head.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

pcv valve -5$ go change it

Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by roadrnr70
yep

took a look at it the other day in-fact.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by FrenicX
yep

took a look at it the other day in-fact.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, 2006 4.7 and I snagged a PCV valve when I grabbed some stuff on Rock Auto. Can someone post a pic of the the location of the PCV by any chance? I didn't see it when I looked the other day..