3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

dakota security?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
ahhh...did not know that....but who would steal an ST? jk
nice....

mine is a 2006 and it uses regular EL-Cheapo Keys. nothing special.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol Mine wouldnt even start with a non-programmed key (Was cut) (well it would for 5 seconds then shut off)

Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Moltenburn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my 06 is no chip cheapos will make the alarm install easier.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:32 PM
oldguy99
Thumbs down results of non exsistace security

I took the truck to dealer as they are the only ones allowed to do what is nessesary to correct problem, thus, they have quoted $780.00 to repair plus cost of new keys and lock assy. all I want is what the truck had before which was no coded keys. I informed them that I was picking up the truck to part it out and sell the rest by the pound. this is bullcrap and I will no longer deal with any vehicle newer than 1973. I have been a line technition since 1964 and what has become of the automotive industry is shamefull. to many "modules" that replace a swich and do nothing other than to cost high dollars.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:05 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldguy99
I took the truck to dealer as they are the only ones allowed to do what is nessesary to correct problem, thus, they have quoted $780.00 to repair plus cost of new keys and lock assy. all I want is what the truck had before which was no coded keys. I informed them that I was picking up the truck to part it out and sell the rest by the pound. this is bullcrap and I will no longer deal with any vehicle newer than 1973. I have been a line technition since 1964 and what has become of the automotive industry is shamefull. to many "modules" that replace a swich and do nothing other than to cost high dollars.

I have always been a huge fan of the older stuff, and 73 would definitely be the cutoff year for that since '74 mandates in emissions and safety. Though, motors are making tons of power again like they were back then, but it's all thanks to computers and electronics that have many points of failure.

But, as frustrating as it can be sometimes, I am a technical person and I love a challenge so I look at these things as learning experiences.

good luck in your endeavors.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 AM
novovictus1
Professional

My st has non-chipped keys as well. I do have one rubber coated dodge key, but my spares and flat metal blade keys and i have used them many times.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Robk1971
Professional

I share your frustration. I don't so much mind the technology since I studied electronics and get along well with that ok, but I have a major issue with being tied to the dealer to get certain things done, like modules flashed, keys programmed, etc. Now I haven't had to do that yet, but I know the first time I will won't make for a happy me. But, in a way, I suppose swapping a module and having to get the dealer to bless it with their Starscan tool isn't all that much different than putting my front end together and having to have the alignment shop do their thing to make it right. Not exactly the same but close.

One positive point on technology, it has helped get more power out of smaller engines. Unfortunately, vehicles have also become heavier which takes away from that gain a bit. Those old sleds from the 50's that looked as heavy as tanks have nothing on the SUV's today in terms of weight.

Anyway, I've rambled enough, sorry.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:02 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

I believe that my 06 slt doesnt have the chiped key system. I got 3 keys from the dealer. 2 with remote clicker built in (i love that) and one regular key. That reminds me i need to find my 2nd clicker key.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
oldguy99

Altho I am very upset with the expensive new vehicles they are more powerful than the old ones, get better fuel economy and are less polluting. But why do you need 300hp to go from zero to the speed limit in such a short time? I have a 1948 Plymouth, all stock, all origional and I can run with most vehicles today. the old flathead is strong at 100hp and if something happens? pull over, check the simple electronics repai with minor work and drive of happy again. no solid state modules to fail. And add the fact that the thieves of today couldn't steal the car because they wouldn't know how to start it (I have fun with vale parking guys)

Old 06-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Altho I am very upset with the expensive new vehicles they are more powerful than the old ones, get better fuel economy and are less polluting. But why do you need 300hp to go from zero to the speed limit in such a short time? I have a 1948 Plymouth, all stock, all origional and I can run with most vehicles today. the old flathead is strong at 100hp and if something happens? pull over, check the simple electronics repai with minor work and drive of happy again. no solid state modules to fail. And add the fact that the thieves of today couldn't steal the car because they wouldn't know how to start it (I have fun with vale parking guys)
Floorboard starter?

Quick Reply: dakota security?