3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

High Definition light Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012 | 01:34 PM
erau
Veteran

Originally Posted by bandito40
It seams that the right side light shoots a little high. I haven't had anyone high beam me yet. Not exactly sure what you mean by stray light but I have noticed that any sign that is reflective I can see it light up from about 300 feet away even if it's 40 feet in the air and any signs that almost 90 degree on each side. When I pull up behind a vehicle I see the lights about 1/2 way between the top of the trunk and bumper. I have never seen anyone flip their mirror and I can't really see in their car either.
Ok, yeah that's what I meant. I had read that xenon retro-fits in normal reflector-type lenses can throw "stray light" in unwanted directions (particularly to opposing traffic) harsher than conventional halogens, since they weren't put into projector-type lenses which tend to focus the light straight ahead. But it sounds like you're not really having that problem which is a good thing.

Originally Posted by bandito40
I plugged a regular halogen light into the empty head light connector to see what would happen but the lights still stay after I turn off my truck. I can't figure it out...
If there are capacitors in either the ballasts or those black modules, then they'll hold a charge for a little while after power is turned off until they discharge. It's like a little battery downstream, probably to ensure they receive "smooth" power.

One more question. That kit is a 6000K (Kelvin) which in theory should be just slightly blue of white, where 5000K is generally considered to be close to pure white, like this:

I'm looking to get a kit as close as possible to pure white, but I've also read that kit ratings don't necessarily match up to the results depending on power output/ballast quality/etc. Does yours look like the 6000K above? If so, I'll know that the 5000K should cover my needs.

Old 09-24-2012 | 10:15 AM
bandito40
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by erau
Ok, yeah that's what I meant. I had read that xenon retro-fits in normal reflector-type lenses can throw "stray light" in unwanted directions (particularly to opposing traffic) harsher than conventional halogens, since they weren't put into projector-type lenses which tend to focus the light straight ahead. But it sounds like you're not really having that problem which is a good thing.

If there are capacitors in either the ballasts or those black modules, then they'll hold a charge for a little while after power is turned off until they discharge. It's like a little battery downstream, probably to ensure they receive "smooth" power.

One more question. That kit is a 6000K (Kelvin) which in theory should be just slightly blue of white, where 5000K is generally considered to be close to pure white, like this:

I'm looking to get a kit as close as possible to pure white, but I've also read that kit ratings don't necessarily match up to the results depending on power output/ballast quality/etc. Does yours look like the 6000K above? If so, I'll know that the 5000K should cover my needs.
Mine look like the 6000k ones. I will say that they are very bright and 5000k should be plenty fine. As for the stray light it's noticeable on anything that is reflective which is mainly road signs.

Regarding the discharging of the ballasts, I see your point but I don't think that is the problem for two reasons. One the lights turn off at precisely the same moment and I would figure that if it took time for the ballasts to discharge they wouldn't always be at the same time. Two, when I contacted the supplier they said that the lights should turn off when the lights are turned off.

Quick Reply: High Definition light Bulbs