3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Replacing fronts struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 PM
sparks1032
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing fronts struts

I looked for about ten minutes trying to find the thread that was suggesting that you could get out the front struts without taking apart the entire front end of the truck. I have the quick struts on a 2007 Dakota 4x4 and all the bolts have been sprayed for days in anticipation of this job don't be nice if I a being lazy then tell me I was hoping for a half day job not an all day....

Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 PM
norma jean
Captain
Old 10-26-2012, 01:55 AM
JoeyDMG
Professional

I don't think you can... I tried following the manual and the lower arm wouldn't drop. I think you'll have to do the ball joints or tie rods (or both). I ended up taking mine to a shop and did the rear shocks myself.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

You can get it out without removing the control arms. Removing the axle nut allows the lower to drop enough to get the strut in and out. You still have to muscle it though. I'm going to attempt to get the pics back in the thread for my leveling kit install.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
sparks1032
Rookie

Thanks for the above links I should mention that I searched from my phone and didn't get on a computer which is a much better way to search! ANYWAY the drivers side took a few hours and yes you need to take the sway bar link off and the upper ball joint at minimum. I would recommend the lower as well if you are worried about scratching the paint.......also the drive shaft in the front (if a 4x4) I did neither and stuffed it into the hole with just the sway bar and upper ball joint disconnected.

PASSENGER SIDE LOWER STRUT BUSHING! Read the posts about the problems and after 4 hours got the strut in. It might be time for a sticky for this strut and its replacement! I would recommend a hot torch as the stupid propane hand torch was barely warm enough to melt the rubber. I then had to cut the shock off so I could heat it up further to get it out. THEN getting the bushing out was another ordeal in itself (can we say sawzall bushing in half), remind myself I have been spraying pb blaster on all of the suspension parts for a week! I pounded on the bolt so hard I could not the nut back on! After I got the lower bolt out the strut bushing was rusted to the bolt! I purchased the bushing already (big thanks to everyone who found the Napa part#) BUT should have purchased a new bolt as it would have saved an hour of my life pounding and heating the sleeve out. All said and done put back together and still need to do the brakes.

Only other thing that might be handy besides the new bolt would be painting or treating the top of the strut tower as it was somewhat rusty! Then I remember the days when I would take each piece apart clean and repaint it before putting it back together! I justify it as a daily driver not a show queen or purty lookin

Will post pics if I ever get on a computer..........THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE PRIOR POSTS IT HELPED A BUNCH!

Last edited by sparks1032; 10-26-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you have to remove the sway bar, upper balljoint, and tie rod end. if its a 2wd. at least thats all I ever had to do.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

It also helped that the week before I had a shop install my new struts so the strut bolt was easy to get out when I installed the leveling kit.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 AM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
It also helped that the week before I had a shop install my new struts so the strut bolt was easy to get out when I installed the leveling kit.

Yah I wish I had that luxury... I was @ square 1 with mine.

I also removed almost everything on the front end; having 2 jacks helps too

Quick Reply: Replacing fronts struts