3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hydrogen anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 PM
mattz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a cheap 4 cyl car and save the Dakota for truck stuff and playing. A 4 cyl. car can get 2x the milage as a pickup. Less maintaince too.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This comes up every couple of years. Everybody I've talked to who had "success" with HHO had some ridiculous way of measuring it like, "I usually use half a tank a week, but I only used 3/8 this week."

In other words, it doesn't work. Don't waste your time and money.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 PM
snipermax86
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a dry cell kit plugged into my V6 and it had not much of a difference with performance but went from 16.2 MPG stock to 18.5 avg MPG.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Honestly the mileage mode is a crock. Your better off running performance 87 tune. I found the mileage tune actually gave me less MPG's than the 87 performance tune.
I am right there with ya... that Mileage tune retards the truck so much, it trips over itself and eats more fuel just to get going.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sdtalon
I have an R6, but its not very comfortable for an hour ride each way. Also, i need to carry my tools, plus its been 29 in the morning out there.

Doesn't the Fisker have solar on it's roof?

I have intake, exhaust, superchip (set to mileage mode), 2/4 drop, havent done gears yet.

I did see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEgWCds4Ro
and its on a dakota.

according to that video, it works better than barry outlines.
Yes the Fisker has solar, so do a couple others, but look at the numbers. Fisker's own website:
http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/2009/09/fi...rma-specs.html
Lists these specs for the batteries and motor:
The system has a maximum storage capacity of 22.6 kW-hrs and is capable of delivering a peak electric power of 200 kW (500 Amps at 400 Volts) throughout the charge depleting range of operation.
...and these spec's for the solar charging array:
Technical Specifications
* 0.5 kWh/day
* 130 W
Charging Port
So, how many days worth of charging at .5 kWh per day does it take to charge a 22.6 kWh battery? Put another way, One full day's worth of optimum charging, by itself, would be good enough to move the car one mile. A full charge from dead would take the better part of a month and a half to build up enough of a charge to travel 50 miles.

Back on topic, the guy in the video is using even higher voltages than I proposed, to get his kit to work. A 30A continuous draw is no joke on any electrical system, just ask the car sterio guys. Plus the volume of HHO he claims to produce has got to go through water fairly quickly, meaning he either has a much bigger tank of water somewhere, or the system does not last that long. [I'm too tired to actually do the math on this one, sue me, it's late.]

The last nail in this guy's credibility coffin is efficiency. At the start when the system is 100% full it is producing 100% of it's HHO capacity, which he said is about 2 L/m, but as the water electrolyzes, that efficiency will go down as the water level goes down [less electrode submerged]. As a wild rough guess [using his numbers] he should be electrolyzing around 1-1.5ml of water per minute to get his 2 L/m of HHO. That works out to a static water consumption of almost 2L per hour. His setup looked about right to hold around 6 liters of water [another guess]. So after an hour and a half of driving, when his fuel cell is half empty, he will theoretically only have half of his electrodes submerged in water and will be producing less HHO. It's not a linear scale, so I can't say it will be half as efficient, but it will certainly decrease, and end at zero when the water runs out.

He may have a method to re-fill the water tanks while in operation, on the fly, but that hardly seems the safest option given the amperages involved.

Last edited by barrysuperhawk; 01-10-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Reality rears its ugly head!

There you go, inserting math and physics where they just don't belong!

With guys like you around, it will be impossible to sell the newest, free-est, bestest improve-your-balance-mileage-sex-life-and-credit-rating gizmo!

Well, not really! I could quote P.T. Barnum, but that would be going too far.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8

With guys like you around, it will be impossible to sell the newest, free-est, bestest improve-your-balance-mileage-sex-life-and-credit-rating gizmo!

lol true story!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional

Originally Posted by northgator8

Terribly sorry, did I violate some forum rule there?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk
Terribly sorry, did I violate some forum rule there?
Just the general world-wide-interweb rule against inserting facts and logic into an otherwise perfect argument or point.

LOL

Old 01-11-2013, 02:42 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional

Oh LAWD I broke the INTERNETS rule!!!

Quick Reply: Hydrogen anyone?