3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

getting a soft cloth tonneau cover for free, but..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013 | 09:53 PM
FrenicX
|
Record Breaker
Default getting a soft cloth tonneau cover for free, but..

It's from a 2004 quad cab, and I'm not sure if they changed the dimensions of the bed from gen 2 to gen 3. I know that a hard top cover wouldn't work because the outside dimensions of the trucks did change, but did the inside measurements change at all? I'm not sure what brand it is, I'll be picking it up monday.

I looked online at another brand of soft cover, and found that the part number was the same for 04- and 05+, so maybe there is hope.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Old 05-03-2013 | 10:53 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

When I got mine in 05 I had to wait for it to be manufactured because the 05 bed has a taper to it. Wider in the rear I believe.

Old 05-08-2013 | 10:40 AM
ixl4
Amateur

it should work, but it will sit narrower by the cabin and wider in the back.

Old 05-08-2013 | 04:56 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ixl4
it should work, but it will sit narrower by the cabin and wider in the back.
This, The inside of the Box is the Same, Rail to Rail and Front to back. Also is the same on Gen 1's. As I had a guy with a Gen 1 buy the Cap off my Gen 3, which was a Gen 3 Aluminum Cap with Rear Doors It fit perfectly on his truck

Old 05-09-2013 | 09:33 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by FrenicX
It's from a 2004 quad cab, and I'm not sure if they changed the dimensions of the bed from gen 2 to gen 3. I know that a hard top cover wouldn't work because the outside dimensions of the trucks did change, but did the inside measurements change at all? I'm not sure what brand it is, I'll be picking it up monday.

I looked online at another brand of soft cover, and found that the part number was the same for 04- and 05+, so maybe there is hope.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
My soft cover frame had different width cross bars because the outside of the beds are narrower at the back. If the one your looking at has a frame, I would check the fit first. IIRC, the side rails clamped to the top of the bed sides and the cross bars snapped in and you could not interchange the positions. True, the inside bed dimensions are the same, but the frame of the cover sits on top of the bed rails, not inside; therefore, it may not fit right.

Old 05-16-2013 | 11:01 PM
FrenicX
|
Record Breaker

An update on this, I got the cover and it does rest on top of the bedrails. The clamps are on the inside and clamp nice and tight. The only thing is, as was mentioned, the taper from the cab to tailgate is around 1.5" difference, but it's not ugly at all. Looks good in fact, I will get a couple pics soon.

Old 05-17-2013 | 07:57 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Allow me:

Old 05-22-2013 | 02:19 AM
FrenicX
|
Record Breaker

once I get a good wash done, I'll postify. I sanded and buffed out my yellow headlights too, they look brand new!~

Quick Reply: getting a soft cloth tonneau cover for free, but..