3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

front end squeaking need advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Anthony Grego
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end squeaking need advice!!!

so, my 05 dak has this squeak.
when its started from cold and initially getting going it wont do it.
it happens when im driving for a little while and it warms up.
specifically itll happen when im slowing down below 30mph and also when im making left turns. sounds like that warning tab on your breaks when the pads need replaced but the pads rotors and calipers are new, its been doing that noise since before I replace all those last month.

any advice.

also while im at it. anyone having problems with their front cv joint boots blowing out with a leveling kit.
I have the daystar 2" kit

Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Maybe ball joints or wheel bearings...I had one of my boots spring a leak after I installed my 2" kit. I put a big hose clamp on it and it stopped.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Anthony Grego
Professional

ball joints are new. wheel bearings, havnt gotten around to checking them. problem is I cannot rotate the wheels in the air because at full articulation the wheels wont turn. im gonna have to pull the cv shaft out and then rotate the wheel on the hub to see if it makes a rumbling or grinding noise. or if there is any play in the wheel north to south

Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 PM
sawfish
Professional

Most likely the wheel bearings that are allowing the wheel runout which causes the noise you described.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put jack stands under your frame then use a floor jack to lift the control arm up enough to spin tire.

but chances are its the bearing. Especially with a leveling kit and larger tires it puts weird pressure on that bearing. While driving try making sharp left and right turns causing the vehicles weight to shift. If the sound changes or goes away during any body roll its more then likely tue bearing.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 AM
rojodak
Default Mine's squeeked forever

Since I bought my '07, I've had all the bearings replace, then the upper and lower control arms. I get new squeeks ever six months or so. Since it's warranty all the parts were replaced. Try the control arms first, that was the worst squeek.
-Alex

Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Anthony Grego
Professional

its not a control arm squeak, that would make it squeak on bumps and it does not do that.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried lifting the front end by the control arm instead of the crossmember? they wont articulate if you do it that way. just make sure to also use jackstands in the center so it's stable. or just lift it from the center and lower it down slowly onto jackstands placed under the control arms. Just as Projektdirt recommended.

Do you have aftermarket exhaust? I just recently noticed that when my exhaust is fully warmed up, the length of the piping increases by about a half inch or more due to expansion.. I have an exhaust hanger that I added which rubs against the metal surround of the rubber bushing it hooks into.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Anthony Grego
Professional

I actually looked into my exhaust for a different issue and no signs of rubbing, it clears very well all around. this sound is specifically the front wheelwell

Old 08-15-2013, 09:55 AM
michigan2006DakotaSLT4x4

I replaced all the working front end parts of my 2006 Dakota with all MOOG parts, been a year, no problems.. the crap from the dealer don't last long at all..

Quick Reply: front end squeaking need advice!!!