3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Is it this hard to replace front rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 AM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it this hard to replace front rotors?

I have a pretty bad case of steering wheel shake when I brake so I am thinking I may need new rotors. Now, take a look at this video at 5:00 and see what this guy has to do to budge the rotors. Is it really this bad?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be pretty bad, mine were oxidized/rusted on there pretty bad. Takes some convincing with a BFH.

But that's the hard part, also pressing the pistons back can be a pain because the piston can bind sideways a little and seem seized. but letting off pressure and trying again did the trick for me.

But otherwise rotor replacement is a good start to learning how to do it all yourself.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

It's really not bad. Beat the crap out of it, your replacing it anyway. Use antisieze on the back of the new one so it wont happen again. Trucks from the northern states are probably a little worse due to salt. Mine came off pretty easy.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:33 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran

I have done plenty of brake work before but this is my nightmare when you can't remove something and in the process something breaks or gets stripped.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why steering wheel shake comes from my Rear Drums/Shoes going odd shaped. lol

My rotors came off fairly easy. Unlike everything else on my truck.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this guys swings like a girl! first off, he needs a bigger hammer. plus, he isn't reusing that rotor so what is he holding back for?! it's super easy..I learned very quick when I was in school

Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 PM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't have any problem at all, here is a before and after. The best way to deal with the pistons (my opinion) is to use 2 C-clamps. Open the brake fluid cap so it will not build up pressure, than put the two clamps on the caliper, tighten one than the other. As for the rotor itself, like mentioned earlier, a Big F* Hammer and also some MAN, which can be found at your local Auto Store. While changing rotors... hell, put new brake pads, but first use your old brake pad to lay on both pistons and push them all the way in so it will go on with ease.

Before, crappy brakes and rotors, 3"leveling kit, 1"coil spacers which equaled ball joints going to hell within 2yrs...
IMG-20130428-01014_zps20a4e69a.jpg
After:
(also new strut, and removed 1" coil spacers. New tie rod ends, upper control arm and lower ball joint. )
IMG-20130428-01017_zpsb1851ebf.jpg

dod_zps401e9284.jpg

3" Leveling kit- Rancho's All around- 265/75R16 BFG Rugged Terrains- Custom Short Ram Intake- Straight piped exhaust w/ custom 3" stacks- Black housing headlights 6k HID- Custom HarleyDavidson Shifter

Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 AM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran

My question is why all the banging? Why doesn't it just fall off once the wheel is removed?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by DakotaAgain?
My question is why all the banging? Why doesn't it just fall off once the wheel is removed?

There was some corrosion between the hub and the disk.

It wasn't really all that bad, btw. Anyone who's lived in the salt and rust belt has had a lot worse. Back when I lived in the upper mid West, you'd end up replacing the hardware and the lug bolts as well. Really a bitch when you have to take the brakes all the way apart to replace a lug bolt.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:20 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
this guys swings like a girl! first off, he needs a bigger hammer. plus, he isn't reusing that rotor so what is he holding back for?! it's super easy..I learned very quick when I was in school
That was my thoughts too. A couple good "bumps" from a 7 lb sledge and mine were off. The do get a bit of corrosion on the back side. Liek the others stated, the salt belt states and the constant heating a cooling create condensation which inhibits corrosion

Quick Reply: Is it this hard to replace front rotors?