3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Stumbling idle/stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:16 PM
sund
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Stumbling idle/stalling

I have a '05 Dakota 4.7 with 63,000 miles that recently has been stalling at stops or stumbling. By stumbling I mean idling at about 600 rpm and then sudden drop to 200 or so usually recovering but sometimes stalling or a rough idle and then recovering.

last month I replaced the plugs and like other posts, they were eroded to .05 gap but with good color -- no black charring. Disconnected battery and reconnected after 10 seconds.

I replaced the gas cap as a cheap fix. Not entirely better but not worse.

Before I go replacing parts* I would like to get a code -- if any are stored. I have tried the ON - OFF x3 trick but nothing comes up. I am under the assumption that it will display 'P DONE' even if there aren't any codes. I have tried holding the trip reset while turning the ignition to ON and get a Light and gauge test.

So, does the 05 use the ON - OFF x3 trick?

* without codes, I plan to replace the TPS and then IAC as it just seems the most likely fixes.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would first clean up the throttle body and IAC valve really good before spending more money. Then you can see if its the TPS, since that's the cheapest part. Do you have a check engine light?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 AM
sund

No CEL, there are codes that won't cause the CEL to light up, right?

Is there a how to or something on how to clean the TB?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:50 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

I has the same issue @ 60K removed and cleaned IAC. Ran like new !

Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM
mytrplseven

I have same identical issue, mileage, year, model, etc. I replaced the IAD, TPS and new NGK plugs, properly gapped. The old ones were original Champions and looked perfect but gaps were a hair over .050. The throttle body was cleaned and the battery was disconnected, the start switch turned on for a minute and then the battery was reconnected. I've driven the car a few hundred miles since then and the car idles around 700 and still stumbles. V-8's aren't supposed to do this. I've read about the dealer re-flashing the memory on the ECU but supposedly, by driving the truck, the ECU will re-learn and all's right with the world. Well, so far, I'm not impressed. I guess the next step is to run some injector cleaner through the truck a few tankfulls and if that doesn't work, then I'm going to send the injectors off to Witch hunter in Bellingham, WA like I did on my vintage Porsche. Only $100 and quick.

Last edited by mytrplseven; 08-07-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people tend to ignore the sparkplugs. The high energy spark along with very durable plugs has made that part of the engine a lot more issue free, but they do need maintenance. With the high energy spark, the gap can (and does) get pretty big before you notice anything & when you do notice things, the symptoms are much like yours, with low rpm, it will continue to stumble and quit - getting worse as time goes on. This problem doesn't give you any codes usually - occaisionally you'll get a misfire code. If you have a basic tool set and a plug socket, all you'd need to add would be a feeler gauge (just a few bucks) and you've got all you need to have a look at your plugs.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:56 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

go back to copper Champion plugs

Old 08-14-2013, 11:00 PM
sund

Originally Posted by sdsdsd
go back to copper Champion plugs
Never left them. Gapped the new ones to .04.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 PM
ouv
Professional

I'm having this right now.
I replaced EGR because I had the code
I replaced plugs, I had multiple cylinder misfire. like p0300 I think.
Nothing else. Stumbling today, took it to autozone, IACV came up, no CEL
Bought a new, replaced.

Now in Park, sits at 1000 rpm, drive around 800-900 like somewhat normal.
I drove about 20 miles to school, I parked it, sitting at 1000, it rumbled down to 900 then up to 1100, then a few seconds later, 900, then back up. I read somewhere to check the TPS, I did take it off, looked okay. I did tap on it, like 10 seconds later, it went from 1000, slowly to 900, 800, 700, then stopped there. I've had it while in drive, stop at a drive thru, then stall. Later on that day, stumble while driving, as if the brakes were locking up a little.

I really hope this isn't the trans. Tomorrow after work, since I don't work Saturday, wooo! Or Monday, I'm going to clean up the Throttle body, and since I'm filling up my tank tomorrow, I'll run some gum out

Yes my IACV was carboned up pretty bad. When I slowly pick up speed, I can tell a little misfire. My old plugs were in good condition, were around .045-.050 gap. No white or dark, just normal. I have autolite copper, just like the ones in before.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 AM
mytrplseven

I cleaned the TB, replaced the TPS, spark plugs, and with the truck in neutral, A/C off then engine still stumbles in idle. If it was the transmission, could it still show up in neutral? This is aggrevating.

Quick Reply: Stumbling idle/stalling