3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Sounds like Manifold leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh yea... Cats get very hot. My high flows, well.. I bumped one while changing the oil right after a 10 minute drive. It didn't hurt because it seared the skin right off! Toasty... made and interestingly violent sizzle sound.

On that note, if you have an exhaust leak at the manifold or at the ball flange, you will smell raw exhaust under the hood. On a hot startup, (for example, if you are making a quick errand) if you pop the hood, it should be a pretty obvious smell. Though, the wiff you get may be from the rear of the truck, the difference in exhaust that comes from after the hot cats will be a more moist smell, whereas the precat exhaust will be a dry, hot, and rich smell.. Like an old muscle car.

But, I have found the tube to ear trick to be very helpful in pinpointing leaks, and that works better on a cold engine when moisture will be sputtering from any holes in the exhaust system. Sounds like a tick, unless it's a huge leak, then it may sound like a hiss. The leak I am having, from my headers, sounds like sand rattling in the piping. I just haven't had the time to tighten my flange and header bolts since it does stay hot for so long after a drive, which is completely normal.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 PM
calixdakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No smells - No excess UN-identified air flow.
Noise does NOT go away after it heats up - I thought it dissipated a bit at first now it remains.
I have a question. Are the manifolds interchangable ? from intake to exhaust? the right to left? I was able to salvage the ( RIGHT one- right from sitting in driver seat) off my old one but not the other.

AND STUDS? this meaning a bolt? its not so much a hissing noise but a rattling exhaust noise. IF/After I eliminate the manifolds

what would be my next course of action be to try diagnosing the noise?? lol take a video with sound and post it? :P

Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can get a clear enough recording of the sound, it may help. Manifolds can't switch sides. But the ones from your old engine can go on this one. Keep in mind, these manifolds are tough and probably won't crack, ever. It's much more common to have a broken bolt, flange leak, or gasket failure.

If it comes to it, run it by an exhaust shop when you have the time. Don't get a diagnosis, just ask if they will listen real quick, some sounds can be very easy to recognise if the right person hears it. say you're on your way somewhere or whatever and you may come back if you can't fix it yourself. If they don't know whatbthe sound is right off the bat, and want to throw it on the lift, just tell them thanks and you might come back if necessary.

What's the obsession with exhaust manifolds by the way? :P

Quick Reply: Sounds like Manifold leak?