3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Sounds like Manifold leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:01 PM
calixdakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like Manifold leak?

07 dak 4.7 v8
gradually / slowly getting worse

only in drive , when accelerating getting a rough clicking/hissing noise that graduates with speeed..definitly sounds like exhaust

inspected my manifolds, nothing visible..

when in park or neutral when i rev theirs no noise..
sounds like its coming from the engine left side.

any takers?

Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 PM
calixdakota
Professional

sorry , I know i shouldnt bother posting help threads anymore,
come to realise nothing can be diagnosed.
maybe if someone could tell me a way to diagnose possibly a cracked manifold, what it would look like, or if its just the gasket ??

Old 09-04-2013, 08:22 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if your manifold is leaking, when the engine warms up the sound should go away, should only tick on first start up when engine is cold

Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have somebody else sit in the truck and put a load on the engine so it will make the noise. While they do that, take a length of vacuum hose (maybe 3 feet), stick one end in your ear, and use the other end like a stethoscope to "sniff" around for the exhaust leak. It should be pretty easy to pinpoint that way.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

put your hand near the manifold on the driver side while the engine is running (hood popped) there is plenty of room to safely do that and you feel the air escaping your manifold directly

Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Help threads are fine calix, but people are going to make suggestions to try to help you diagnose.

It does no good to ask for help, then take off on a tangent while never: 1. Trying anything that was suggested. Or 2. Never reporting results of said tests.

Learning is the best part of car problems. Lots of people are more than happy to help you learn, and its free! but you gotta let us know what happens as you work through the steps.

Everyone here wants to know if their suggestions resulted in anything. So keep us posted man.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenicX
Help threads are fine calix, but people are going to make suggestions to try to help you diagnose.

It does no good to ask for help, then take off on a tangent while never: 1. Trying anything that was suggested. Or 2. Never reporting results of said tests.

Learning is the best part of car problems. Lots of people are more than happy to help you learn, and its free! but you gotta let us know what happens as you work through the steps.

Everyone here wants to know if their suggestions resulted in anything. So keep us posted man.
True words

Old 09-05-2013, 08:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Did they swap exhaust manifolds when you had the engine replaced? If so, it may be as simple as tightening the exhaust manifold bolts.

We don't mind your questions at all, just take the time to respond in kind when you try the advise given. Don't come back with "my oil was dirty, so I changed it" as a response to why your engine was making noise.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 PM
calixdakota
Professional

Got it-
making ammends on my other thread.

I will reply now-
superdak05
I have noticed that the noise does - dissapate - after the engine is warmed up

tom a
What do you mean by put a load on the engine?
The noise only happens when under acceleration - are you suggesting i still may be able to hear it faintly while in neutral or park while reving the engine?

04silverdak + rest

Say I do identify it is a manifold, ( excess air - noise ) from whichever side

Will i be able to distinguish if its a gasket or a crack in the manifold itself by noise or amount of air pressure?
or would i have to inspect visually for a crack?

JKeaton
the engine i bought had manifolds attached and werent swapped for my old ones-
but I like the idea of them possibly being loose!
one my engine cools down this evening I will check it out.

I did removed the exhaust manifold from my old engine to keep for spare.

had trouble getting the other one off..tried cutting out the bolts but never worked either.

another thing
noticed last night- after leaving the truck parked for over an hour, hour and half.
i came out to check my oil. and it was still HOT under the hood, too hot to touch anything metal around the manifolds for sure.

Does the rest of your dakotas stay warm that long?

thanks
check in later

Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt its the manifold itself, if your manifolds are leaking its usualy either A.) a broken stud/s or B.) the gasket is cracked. I'd lean toward a broken stud.

As far as the warmth, in the summer time, its not uncommon for it to keep the heat that long. Remember the engine temps are around 180-200F average while running. That is the temperature of the block and heads, etc. The exhaust manifolds are going to be triple or more of that temp and the cats even higher.

Quick Reply: Sounds like Manifold leak?