3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lower Control Arm Bolts Unavailable...Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bergz22
2007 quad cad 4wd 4.7
In that case, I'm moving this thread to the 3rd generation forum where you'll hopefully get the answers you need.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey! How many do you need?! I had a good one left over from when I did mine, I will have to check to see if I still have it.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bolts are definitely cam bolts and the nut is special as well. If you look through my posts, you'll find a thread on when I needed to change bolts, bushings etc and you'll find pictures and descriptions of those components there. The cam is used in your alignment, so no cam, no alignment - a standard grade 8 won't work.

When I got my replacement parts, I was able to get new bolts from the dealership, but I couldn't get the nuts, so I had to take care of how I cut the old bolts that were seized so that I didn't damage the nut with it's associated cam washer - I show this in that thread as well.

There's a parts manual in the sticky section of this forum that has these in it - take that page with you to the dealership and see what you can find. For sure, you won't get any after-market or generic bolts that will do the trick. If you look at the pic of that bolt that FrenicX posted, you'll see a shape at the end (the flat areas by the thread) - these are there to align the cam washer at that end, so if you want to get a machine shop to make you some, they need to have that feature as well.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Before you cut the bolts (you need to cut both ends, the shaft is rusted and expanded, and fused onto the bushing), mark the cam and the slotted frame on the truck where the cam sits - this will allow you to put the new ones on in the same place so that your alignment will be close to OK and then you'll need to get a full front end alignment to iron out any small differences.

If you use an angle grinder to cut the bolts, wear face and hand protection - that grinder can jump out at you really fast and in those close quarters, your face is a good target.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM
bergz22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need that bolt. I'll pay you for it.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 PM
bergz22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenicX
Found it.

Just name a price I'll take it. I can even send it back to you if you want it back. The machine shop I use should be able to make that. I'll have them make a drawing and save the specs in case other people need these. As far as I know from corporate they are not supposed to be available from dodge until January, but they also said that for November so who knows. Does anyone know if these bolts are hardened? I don't think I'll have them coated, I'll just anti seize them.

Last edited by bergz22; 11-07-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:04 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Just whatever shipping is, I won't need it for anything. What's your zipcode?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

The bolts are available, at least in Canada. The nuts and outside washers can't be found, but you can reuse the original nuts and washers.

You will also need new bushings or the entire lower control arm. There were a few people that posted they had found part numbers for those bushings - I believe there are 2 sizes in each control arm.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Here's a link to my thread on lower control arm issues.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bolts Unavailable...Help