3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Clunking/knocking noises in front end. Cant find it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking/knocking noises in front end. Cant find it.

Hello, ive been fixing all the little things on my truck, and im now trying to find the knocking/clunking noise that happens alot more on bumpy surfaces. I just replaced inner and outter tie rods on both sides recently. I replaced the sway bar end links a couple years ago (maybe 10,000miles on em) with moog replacements. It has happened for awhile, and Ive parked the truck for a year and just figuring out stuff. Today, i just replaced the horrible sway bar bushings with energy suspension bushings and I am very sure that it made the noise happen a little more and louder, BUT, it has less sway around corners when i took it around the block. Idk what it is. I checked all the ball joints with a pry bar and they are fine. No excessive movement. Im leaning towards struts. Not sure how to test them however. Sometimes when i took it on speedbumps in the past, it would be a little too lose, which is making me think its struts. I also took it on these rally offroad trails before and it made a clunking type noise when i bottomed out, also making me think its the struts. What do you guys think? 145k miles on it.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 PM
djibara
Professional

If you never have replaced upper and lower ball joints your due On a chevy truck I had it ended up being brake caliper clunking when going over bumps

Old 11-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

Originally Posted by djibara
If you never have replaced upper and lower ball joints your due On a chevy truck I had it ended up being brake caliper clunking when going over bumps
.... Chevy....? Am I missing something?? Im really confused. This is a dodge forum, Not chevy. I never said anything about a chevy.

I already tested all the ball joints. I first checked it out by jacking it up and trying to move the wheel in the 12 and 6 o'clock postion, and theres no movement. I then jacked it up, and with a pry bar, I couldnt find any movement. I jacked it up by the control arm and couldnt find find any movement. Then jacked it up via the front member and i couldnt see any either.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:37 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Calm down there a bit. There was a missing period in his post. He mentioned that on a Chevy that he once had, a clunking noise on bumps was a brake calliper causing it. His experience could be great here.

In your case, It could be one of many things, from the brakes, to the CV's, to the struts, to the control arms themselves or even the steering rack. I didn't mention the balljoints, tie rod ends or sway bar end-links as you say you already checked those which is a good start. Unfortunately, there is no way to really check most of them short of replacing and seeing if the problem goes away. Others might chime in with their experience with noises on their Daks, or it might be on other vehicles, and it might help you trace your noise.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

Sorry, me and a friend were both confused, punctuation can really change how something is read, my bad. I might have to take it to a shop if i cant figure it out. I am just unemployed and going to school, so its real hard for money. I hope other people chime in.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:31 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Could also be the isolator on top of the strut. Sometimes those wear out as well. Either way, you've replaced most everything but the ball joints and struts. I'd lean towards the isolators.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:06 AM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

The bushing in the lower strut mount seemed a little squished. I dont think that would cause a clunk tho. Right? Cuz there isnt a gap around the bushing. I had such a big gap with my sway bar bushings, i could see right thru them. So for all that i know, if my lower strut bushing it squished, the others may be too. But i dont know. I put the truck on jack stands and I jacked up each control arm (while looking at the mounts on the frame) at different spots and I didnt see any pause between jacking it the arm and it actually jacking up the truck (so im not suspecting bushing play. They would start squeeking before a total collase i think). I also used a long pry bar and didnt notice any play. Ill look again tomorrow to double check. I do have high miles if its the original struts. 145k. Im gonna inspect the end links tomorrow, and might even remove them and see if the noise diaappears.

Last edited by Jeremysp1993; 11-30-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:18 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

This is on top of the strut. It's an isolator, or strut mount. Not the bushing. Looks like this >> http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ntent=20740155

Old 11-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

I know you're talking about the top, I understand that part. But I was only saying that the lower bushing didn't seem the best also.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

Well, I just had an assistant rock my truck back and forth while I went under. I noticed two things, my rear sway bar links are making noise. Second, I see both front sway bar end links moving up and down within the mount. They are moog that I purchased maybe 2 years ago. THEY should have no in and out play, right?

Quick Reply: Clunking/knocking noises in front end. Cant find it.