3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

OK whats the pin called that holds in the shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:09 PM
daterxies
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK whats the pin called that holds in the pads?

last time a buddy and me replaced my PADS and 2 of the pins pretty much broke. He says you dont need the pins, that they are only there for guiding... is this true? I hear a clunk occasionally like my shoe or something hitting the caliper.

What are the pins called, if there even pins lol ?

Found them!
For anyone else ever searching for this...

Amazon.com: ACDelco 18K1740X Professional Durastop Front Brake Caliper Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 18K1740X Professional Durastop Front Brake Caliper Kit: Automotive

Last edited by daterxies; 05-08-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: accidently put SHOES meant PADS derpy derp
Old 05-08-2014, 11:43 PM
LoCatus
Rookie

You mean THESE pins?

Brake Caliper Guide Pin
They ARE required.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

lol...if its the caliper guide pins, then yes, they are not optional. The calipers are two parts. One is bolted to the spindle, the other (which holds the pads and piston, etc) is bolted to the part thats bolted to the spindle using these pins. Without them, nothing is holding the pads in. You will have no brakes. I seriosly doubt the mechanical ability of your buddy at this point if he indeed is advising you that you do not need caliper guide pins.

The link you privided are the guide pin dust boots and the clips that go into the slots that hold the pads, you could do without them, but their purpose is to help keep the pads from sticking in their guide slots on the caliper. and, iirc, also reduce brake squeel. Usually if you buy pads, they include these clips (unless they are really cheap pads)

Last edited by jkeaton; 05-09-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 AM
daterxies
Rookie

yea its not the pin that holds the caliper together, its the clips that keep the pads in place. I bought some Raybestos "Professional Grade" rotars and pads... i have been having a bad squeaking issue, just normal driving it squeaks when applying brakes and even when brakes are NOT applies going at slow speeds theirs some squeaking.

From what i read Raybestos are good rotars and brakes right? i always just went with the cheap autozone stuff but decided to get an actual name brand that ive heard about this time around and pay a little extra $$$

If the pads do come with the clips ill just return the amazon order.. they are pretty good with doing that.

Last edited by daterxies; 05-09-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pad glides are kinda optional. They are there to be glides for the pads. Over time the bracket will wear down. They make different thickness glides to make up for the place. Also ever pad manufacturer is going to have its own specs on the pad ears so the original glides may not fit. You need to go to Napa or online and get a brake glide kit. It will have different thickness glides so you can find a set that fits.

Quick Reply: OK whats the pin called that holds in the shoes?