3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

need to replace rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to replace rear bumper

Last summer my naboughers friend rear ended me and was pushed into the box a little, and has a dent in it. He gave me money to have it fixed or replaced and I have yet to do it. The money is there sitting and waiting lol so I figured I'd get around to finally.

So does anyone know of a good site to get one, and will it come with new brackets. I've looked around and found a few places, but I'm just wondering if anyone else knows of a place. I might be able to have it pulled out I will have to check with the body shop tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Sure, lots of places sell them. Rock auto, ebay, etc. Check descriptions for info on brackets.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:47 AM
i.who.made.you
Professional

Don't forget to check if it comes with or without the trim piece on top.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Awesome thanks all for the info, I'll make sure I look for that stuff. Also if the brackets are good, and I find a cheap bumper with out them they should still match to the new bumper right?

Old 05-20-2014, 12:58 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I would think that the brackets will be included with a bumper, but the step pads may not. The black powdercoated Westin (#32016) rear bumper allegedly comes with everything (mounts and step pads), and runs about $300 in black. It's $275 shipped at Streetsideauto and Amazon right now.

The bracket on the rear bumper is probably bent if your bumper is pushed in. Mine was the same, but you can easily bend the bracket back into place, which I did on my chrome bumper. A pipe wrench on the end and a little bit of force lined it right back up. Just bend a little at a time, or you may pull it out too far before you know it.

Below is the mount that was bent in towards the bumper, the bumper was resting against my bed on the left side. It's straight in the picture now, and was even with the other side of the bumper when done. If your bumper is not too ugly, you can just repair yours.

Don't mind the rust (life in the northeast), the front side was not rusted at all.
Bumper2r.jpg

Old 05-20-2014, 03:32 PM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I reversed into a little yellow pole at a restaurant and it pushed my rear bumper in all the way on the passenger side. I wrapped a tow strap around my bumper and a tree, and attempted to pull the tree out of the ground..... well not that much anyways, just enough to pull the bumper out. Took a couple times to get it right.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:48 PM
dodgister
Rookie

When you buy, make sure to check descriptions on the brackets.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I would think that the brackets will be included with a bumper, but the step pads may not. The black powdercoated Westin (#32016) rear bumper allegedly comes with everything (mounts and step pads), and runs about $300 in black. It's $275 shipped at Streetsideauto and Amazon right now.

The bracket on the rear bumper is probably bent if your bumper is pushed in. Mine was the same, but you can easily bend the bracket back into place, which I did on my chrome bumper. A pipe wrench on the end and a little bit of force lined it right back up. Just bend a little at a time, or you may pull it out too far before you know it.

Below is the mount that was bent in towards the bumper, the bumper was resting against my bed on the left side. It's straight in the picture now, and was even with the other side of the bumper when done. If your bumper is not too ugly, you can just repair yours.

Don't mind the rust (life in the northeast), the front side was not rusted at all.
I have a big soft maple out front, so i could try and pull the bumper off the box. I will definitely not be going to a body shop, the want $700 to repair. If I need a new bumper I have a quote on paint and I will also fix I few other well I'm at it. The only thing I'm not sure of how to pull out is the dent that he left.

I took a look at the brackets this morning and the one looked a little off, also is it possible to remove the step pads, Those are fine! Also thank you for the link I'll give that a look, and I'll see what I can do with the existing bumper first.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Thanks for the idea pyrofossil I will give that a try!

Thanks dodgister will do

Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatrack2012
I took a look at the brackets this morning and the one looked a little off, also is it possible to remove the step pads, Those are fine! Also thank you for the link I'll give that a look, and I'll see what I can do with the existing bumper first.
Yeah, the step pads come off easily. Use needle nose pliers and pinch the plastic wedges together on the bottom of the pad. Work from one end to the other, don't try to just pull it off.

The dent you can hammer out from the back, at least it should look better.

Quick Reply: need to replace rear bumper