3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 Dakota, 4 Wheel Drive Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 02:27 PM
bwware
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Dakota, 4 Wheel Drive Fuse?

Hello everyone! So I have had my Dakota for about a week now. As fate would have it, 2 days ago the world famous "Service 4wd" light came on. I have searched just about every single website on the subject and have made an appointment at a transmission shop here in Cincinnati. However, until I can get it in, I am told that there is a fuse I can pull that will prevent the 4wd from trying to engage on its own. There is no reference to the fuse under the fuse lid. Driving me crazy! Anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

Old 02-07-2015, 05:18 PM
atlanticblue05

It's fuse 42 - the 25A closest to the front control module at the end of the fuse panel.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 AM
bwware

I will never be able to thank you enough! You were right on the money! THANK YOU!!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:35 PM
87LtdT

What did you do to fix this?? I've read control module or transfer motor??

Thanks. (I obviously just developed the same problem...)

Old 04-16-2015, 01:55 PM
sawfish
Professional
Angry Transfer Case Motor

Originally Posted by 87LtdT
What did you do to fix this?? I've read control module or transfer motor??

Thanks. (I obviously just developed the same problem...)
That seems to be the $64 question without any definitive answer. Dodge is not talking, and the dealership approach seems to be keep changing parts until its fixed. I cannot afford that remedy. This problem has been ongoing with Durango and Dakota vehicles for a few years. Last I heard was it was an internal problem within the transfer case shift motor wiring, which is supposedly made in China, but that is just rumor. I am currently using the fuse removal temporary repair method, while waiting for definitive answers.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:18 PM
87LtdT

I've read elsewhere where one guy fixed it (after a lot of mudding) by cleaning the wire connection at the transfer case motor, another guy said he fixed it by changing the control module, and another said he fixed it by changing the transfer case motor.

What I know about 4WD can fit in a thimble. But one common thing within the 3 fixes above is the electrical connection. So I'm gonna pull it off, heard it's difficult so solicit any advice here, and clean both sides with contact cleaner. And pray!!

I didn't even know there was a transfer case motor, but I think I've found it. Asking you guys who know...can it be R&R'd without pulling the front driveshaft out?? And what about fluid?? Does it share transmission fluid with the trans?? There is a big hex head sticking on the bottom or the transfer case that looks like it might be a drain plug. In short, what would I need to do to remove & replace the transfer case motor?? Big job??

And where would the "control module" be??

Thanks for any advice.

Bob

Old 07-12-2020, 10:48 PM
Jennifer A. Jisko
Default 2007 Dakota switches to 4x4 itself

I am going to scream! I have already changed 4 wheel drive motor and spent $800.00 at the dealership. My truck tries to switch into 4x4 itself without even moving. It was constantly stuck in 4x4 neutral. After the motor it didn't resolve the issue the dealership said I needed my complete 4x4 changed for $2500. I took it to a transmission shop and they took it apart to rebuild it and nothing was wrong. Another $300 for nothing! My friend changed the battery cables and tightened the fuse box down better. He reconnected the ground wire to the firewall and IT QUIT! I WAS so excited. Now that I started using the air conditioning it's worse than ever. There's something about the air conditioning sensor that messes it up too. If I lock or unlock the doors with the remote it switches to 4x4. If its running it switches. If I turn the ignition off it switches. Please help!

Old 09-09-2020, 10:48 PM
2005_Dodge_Dakota
Post Replaciong TransferCase Shift Motor (Actuator) fixed it for me

Originally Posted by Jennifer A. Jisko
I am going to scream! I have already changed 4 wheel drive motor and spent $800.00 at the dealership. My truck tries to switch into 4x4 itself without even moving. It was constantly stuck in 4x4 neutral. After the motor it didn't resolve the issue the dealership said I needed my complete 4x4 changed for $2500. I took it to a transmission shop and they took it apart to rebuild it and nothing was wrong. Another $300 for nothing! My friend changed the battery cables and tightened the fuse box down better. He reconnected the ground wire to the firewall and IT QUIT! I WAS so excited. Now that I started using the air conditioning it's worse than ever. There's something about the air conditioning sensor that messes it up too. If I lock or unlock the doors with the remote it switches to 4x4. If its running it switches. If I turn the ignition off it switches. Please help!
Replacing the Transfer Switch Motor/Actuator did the trick for me and my 2005 Dodge Dakota which had the issue for 4+ years. I got the Dorman replacement motor and replaced it myself, so I was only in for the cost of the motor (Amaz - 235.00). Are you sure they replaced your Transfer Case Motor for the $800.00? Dids you get the old one back after the new one was installed? I replaced mine today , 09/09/20 and was a bit surprised that it worked and corrected the issue completely. I wish you the very best. Fuse slot #25A under the hood on my 2005 powers the Transfer Case. I had the fuse out for 4 years to prevent the unauthorized switching back and forth, even with the key out of the ignition and sometimes during just simply opening one of the doors. Russell

Old 09-10-2020, 12:18 AM
Jennifer A. Jisko
Default Already spent $900.00 at the dealership replacing that part.

Originally Posted by 2005_Dodge_Dakota
Replacing the Transfer Switch Motor/Actuator did the trick for me and my 2005 Dodge Dakota which had the issue for 4+ years. I got the Dorman replacement motor and replaced it myself, so I was only in for the cost of the motor (Amaz - 235.00). Are you sure they replaced your Transfer Case Motor for the $800.00? Dids you get the old one back after the new one was installed? I replaced mine today , 09/09/20 and was a bit surprised that it worked and corrected the issue completely. I wish you the very best. Fuse slot #25A under the hood on my 2005 powers the Transfer Case. I had the fuse out for 4 years to prevent the unauthorized switching back and forth, even with the key out of the ignition and sometimes during just simply opening one of the doors. Russell
I already replaced that through the dealership. It was very expensive and didn't help. They told me I needed my 4x4 rebuilt. I took it to a transmission shop and they took it apart. They called and asked what they were rebuilding. Everything is fine.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:51 PM
2005_Dodge_Dakota

Originally Posted by Jennifer A. Jisko
I already replaced that through the dealership. It was very expensive and didn't help. They told me I needed my 4x4 rebuilt. I took it to a transmission shop and they took it apart. They called and asked what they were rebuilding. Everything is fine.
Yes, hi Jennifer Having read that you had the part replaced already at some cost at the dealership was the reason I asked if you received the old part as an indicator that a new one was put in? I'm not saying they did not replace that part but I always like to be sure, as I've run into unscrupulous service centers before. I could not see having to go through your transmission for any reason since it was working fine for you other than the issues you described. I am not surprised the rebuilder contacted you to ask "What am I supposed to be fixing."

Quick Reply: 2005 Dakota, 4 Wheel Drive Fuse?