3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:45 AM
Jalex7672
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting issue

I have a 2008 Dakota 3.7L 2wd extended cab, manual trans. Have been dealing with this problem for a couple months now. Get in, turn the key, may or more often than not wont start. Hear relays clicking in fuse/relay box, and have tried swapping relays with no change. Battery load tests good, starter went bad so replaced starter, replaced ignition switch, even tried replacing start relay...no change.
You may turn key 1 to (literally) over 100 times, all the while hearing relays clicking, before it will actually crank. You can be clicking away and the engine will start cranking after you have let off start to run positions sometimes. Engine runs fine, just tiring turning key repeatedly until it decides to start.
I'm decent at mechanical work, and can fix this problem myself if only I had some idea of what could be the problem. Not sure what else to try. Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:58 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Jalex:

On a 2008, you just have to "bump" the key up against the contacts and release it, and the computer takes over until it starts. Almost everything electrical on these trucks can be traced back to a bad battery, as a first guess. There are so many draws on the electrical system in modern vehicles that by the time the fuel pump is fired up, the computers get going, etc, there might not be enough volts left in a "good" battery to turn the starter.

I would swap the battery with a known good one, and clean the posts/connectors. But I'd also chase the "bad starter" replacement. It could be that some of the connections were not cleaned and connected correctly.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:22 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with swapping in a known-good battery and checking all power connections, both under the hood and at the starter.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Jalex7672
Default Thanks for the suggestions, but...

Replaced battery, cleaned terminals real good, also cleaned ground at engine block, no change. Cleaned connections at starter when I replaced it. Still getting only a relay click every time ignition switch turned from run to start. Turn switch repeatedly until it finally cranks, which sometimes is after I've returned key switch to run position. Like a delay.
As I previously said, I had pulled all relays before, and click continued every time key switch turned. Seems to be coming from a thin silver box on back side of fuse/relay box, but not sure what it is. Is it the computer?
Any other ideas would be appreciated! Can't afford to take to dealer, but may end up with no other choice.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 AM
WvChamp
Rookie

I'd also have look at the clutch safety switch. Try slamming the clutch pedal to the floor while key in start mode.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Jalex7672

Originally Posted by WvChamp
I'd also have look at the clutch safety switch. Try slamming the clutch pedal to the floor while key in start mode.
Have tried that many times, no effect.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:58 PM
garryburrell
Rookie

On my 2005 it was the plug under the fuse box. Take out the 2 screws and then pull up and to the front. There is 3 plugs under there with levers. I pulled the plugs and put electrical grease and plugged back up. Make sure the levers are down tight.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:31 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you have a second key that came with the truck like mine did, try using the second key, my original key that I used all the time got so worn out, that the truck would just crank and not fire, when I put my new unused key that sat in safe for 8 yrs, truck fired right up

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting issue