3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

A/C-heating fan not blowing strong

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:35 PM
CPO Hazard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C-heating fan not blowing strong

My fan does not blow very hard any longer. It seems to be blocked up. I've cleaned the vents out with a vacuum and a long tube. Sort of like snaking your plumbing. I've been told to change the cabin filter by mechanics. So, as far as I can tell, most vehicles have an internal/cabin A/C filter. The Dakota does not. The Haynes manual does not refer to anything about this issue. Actually, it doesn't cover any troubleshooting of the system at all. Anyone have an idea where I should be looking to clear out any debris that would be blocking air flow?

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Please provide your vehicle specifics (year, engine size).

Old 01-31-2018, 12:09 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

There is definitely not a cabin air filter to change in your truck.

Can you hear the fan blow harder when switched all the way up? Or does it stay the same speed as the lower setting?

Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

turn your fan motor to high, start switching the control **** for your circulator door. probably stuck and just needs to find its happy medium.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I changed mine in my car recently, was "blown away" by how much more air the new one pushed compared to the old fan. Guess they slow down over time - wear out.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:43 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

In addition to the blower motor wearing out as noted above, all air coming into the HVAC assembly behind the dash passes through the A/C evaporator coil first (whether or not the A/C is "on")...Without a cabin filter, this evaporator coil may very well have become clogged with dirt/dust/debris/pet hair over the years, and that may be the "blockage" you're looking for. It's not impossible to clean...An option is to pick up a can of foaming evaporator cleaner (can be found on Amazon and probably other retailers), and get access to the evaporator by removing the blower motor on the bottom of the HVAC assembly on the passenger-side (3 screws and a wire harness). The evaporator is just beyond the blower inside the assembly, and there's enough room (once the blower is removed) to reach the can into the assembly and spray it with the little red tube toward the evaporator. You'd want to follow all instructions on the can.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:52 AM
CPO Hazard

Originally Posted by jkeaton
please provide your vehicle specifics (year, engine size).
2006 slt v8

Old 02-15-2018, 12:55 AM
CPO Hazard

Originally Posted by dakotaff
There is definitely not a cabin air filter to change in your truck.

Can you hear the fan blow harder when switched all the way up? Or does it stay the same speed as the lower setting?
The fan is working fine. Air is correct temp for setting. There just isn't any force from vents. The mechanical parts of the system are in great condition, and the system was checked by my mechanic recently. They just didn't check the flow of air from vents.

Quick Reply: A/C-heating fan not blowing strong